We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

O'Reilly's or Binna Burra?

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
O'Reilly's or Binna Burra?

Looking at spending a couple of nights in the rainforest, after 4 days in Surfers Paradise. We would like a relaxing holiday but would also like the place to have sufficient activities during the day (walks, etc) to stop our boys (14 & 9) from getting 'bored'. O'Reilly's and Binna Burra Mountain Lodge, both seem to have great reviews, but from the information read, I tend to believe that O'Reilly's is better in terms of activities or things to do. Have I understood correctly or is it that I have missed out something about Binna Burra? Would appreciate some ideas and opinions. Thanks...

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: O'Reilly's or Binna Burra?

You may also wish to consider Tamborine Mountain and Springbrook. Both of which are slightly easier to access in my opinion.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: O'Reilly's or Binna Burra?

You don't mention when you are coming to stay, all these areas have had a lot of tree damage in our wild weather two weeks ago. If you arent coming for another couple of months, then all will be good again, if you are going to be here very soon, do your research on each place to see which ones are all okay again.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: O'Reilly's or Binna Burra?

There are plenty of walks in both places, I would lean towards O'Reillys but there isn't much for kids other than walking and the trees, birds etc.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: O'Reilly's or Binna Burra?

We are planning to visit there in the last week of March. What sort of damage has the weather caused - damaged roads, fallen trees, landslides? Unfortunately, there don't seem to be too many recent reports from travellers to the Lamington National Park so I am not sure where to find the current status of what's going on in/around the Lamington Park. Is there any government website that posts updated information about the current conditions in the park. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: O'Reilly's or Binna Burra?

You should be ok by late March.

Check the below for updates.

www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/park-alerts/11819.html

Oz
Level Contributor
12,606 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: O'Reilly's or Binna Burra?

Hi,

My boys loved O'Reillys as young teenagers. The feeding of the birds is something special as is the walk to the Stinson wreck if you are up to it.

Cheers,

Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: O'Reilly's or Binna Burra?

oreillys have great activities for teens and preteens - not only walks like early morning and night time walks, but seqway tours, ziplines, 4WD tours and a bird show . Binna burra is still good with a better variety of shorter walks in differing terrain and there are also activites the lodge can arrange like abseling and a ropes course. You are guaranteered to see plenty of birds at oreillys and probably other critters like the blue crayfish and leeches! Walk to Elabana falls via the box log circuit if the kids want a shorter walk or be more adventurous and take a day to do the tooloona circuit.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,512 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: O'Reilly's or Binna Burra?

post from March 11th 2013 - particularly those wanting to do some walks - damage to trails in the Lamington National Park

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1192219-i12378…

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: O'Reilly's or Binna Burra?

All set for our GC trip in a couple of weeks. We have booked a couple of nights at O'Reilly's. I have been keeping a track of the park alerts on the Queensland govt national parks site and understand that the shorter walks around O'reilly's have opened where as the longer walks are still closed.

britain
Level Contributor
44 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: O'Reilly's or Binna Burra?

Thinking about booking Binna Burra next Oct. for 6 nights. My how prices have shot up with strong A$

Cannot decide if it's worth booking the 3 course Dinner package, we have poor appetites these days, or save 60$ a day and just get one course in the evening.

Is this a realistic saving or could it cost us more in the long run, please?