We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Sydney to Gold Coast?

charlotte
2 posts
Save Topic
Drive from Sydney to Gold Coast?

We have 7 days in Sydney (July 24 to July 30). We would like to see other places that are driving distance away. Would it be a good idea to drive to the Gold Coast? I know its a long drive but my husband thinks that it will be a pretty scenic drive...is it? Are there any road construction projects that we should know about? What are the stops we should make on the way? We think we should spend 3 days to Gold Coast which includes the drive there. We would love some suggestions. Thanks.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Sydney to Gold Coast?

It is a long way to the gold Coast but if you wish to see some beautiful spots you can't go wrong.

Major places to stop could include Central Coast , Port Stephens, Port Maquarie, Nambucca Heads, Coffs Harbour, Yamba, Ballina, Byron Bay, Gold Coast.

I'm sure there will be lots of other great suggestions.

Have a great holiday....... Jo

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Sydney to Gold Coast?

There is a lot of highway driving however if you detour to coastal towns, it is very scenic.

Stops I would suggest are Port Stephens, South West Rocks, Yamba, then onwards to Ballina, Byron Bay and Gold Coast.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,548 posts
1,595 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Sydney to Gold Coast?

If you have the time then do it, its a great trip with some absolutely gorgeous beaches. along the way...suggestions given are spot on, another is to visit Crescent Head (just near Kempsey) and do the coastal road to Hat Head....it's lovely.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,628 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Sydney to Gold Coast?

There was a long thread on this particular drive some time back but at this point I can't seem to finmd it. If I do I'll bump it up.

My suggestions are as follows..there is lots of HWY but if you get off you can go around a more scenic route. Most of these ar noted by brown tourist route signs..my list is by far incomplete..

1. Detour off at Tea gardens Hawks nest and travel around to the ferry across the river after Myall lakes national park at Mungo brush (stop at hole in the wall and sometimes there are wild koalas just over the Singing bridge) You can then go in via seal rocks to Forster and tuncurry and back out onto HWY.

3. Head off the HWY at Kew and drive thru lauriton and North Haven and then on to Port macquarie via Lake cathie (A drive up north brother for a spectacular view)

4. Divert out via South West rocks

5. head off the main drag at ballina and go to Byron via the coastal road (Lennox head)

There are some other inland options...including the Bucketts Way which also make for interesting diversions.

There is road construction around byron and also near Karuah which may slow things down but nothing major.

There are many lovely coastal towns and villages which have basic motel rooms which can serve for overnight accom.

Port macquarie and Coffs harbour are big centres and sometimes acccom can be hard to come by as many huge country sporting events are held there. this is especiallt true of Coffs. Upmarket accom is usually okay if you are willing to pay bigger dolars.

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Sydney to Gold Coast?

The Gold Coast can be reached easily in 2 days from Sydney with an overnight stopover roughly 1/2 way at Coffs Harbour. I would recommend a spa bungalow at Anuka Beach Resort, however there are plenty of cheaper options in the area. With 2 drivers you can driver the entire stretch from Sydney >> GC.

3 days doesn't give you too much time to play with really!

Woodford, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Sydney to Gold Coast?

There are some roadworks in various places along the Hwy from Newcastle to the Gold Coast. You can find details here:

…nsw.gov.au/constructionmaintenance/…

There's plenty of fine scenery but note the highway doesn't wind along the coast itself. You have freeway to Newcastle and the map in the link will also show you which parts (not many!) are now dual carriageway between there and the Gold Coast..

Assume you're flying back to SYD and you don't need to travel all the way - there are flights back from various places such as Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour, Lismore and if you want a leisurely days with lots of time for poking around you might consider travelling part way and flying back from one of these places

charlotte
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from Sydney to Gold Coast?

Thanks so much everyone. Is July 20 to August 2 a bad time weather wise?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,628 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive from Sydney to Gold Coast?

It is the middle of winter but other than that you can stil get days up around 20c with beautiful sunshine it's just the nights that are cool. (1-2c especialy away from the coast)

9. Re: Drive from Sydney to Gold Coast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 18:17