We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gold Coast to Melbourne for 2 weeks

Mumbai, India
14 posts
Save Topic
Gold Coast to Melbourne for 2 weeks

I'm visiting Australia with my family in late Oct for 2 weeks. We are going to land at Gold coast and going to end our trip at Melbourne. We are a group of 9 people with the youngest being 22 years old and the eldest being 69 years old and we are going to SELF DRIVE. We want to cover all the major cities and tourist attractions within that area so keeping all this in mind we need your help in making an itinerary for our trip. Any help will be really appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Gold Coast Boutique Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Tamborine Mountain Shuttle
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Nature & Wildlife Tours
Tour Gold Coast
Sightseeing Tours
Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
693 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gold Coast to Melbourne for 2 weeks

you are going to be very busy covering that distance in 3 weeks. maybe google a map of Australia and pick out spots that interest you and go from there.

you could go the coastal route, inland or a bit of both. make sure you go through a reputable company when hiring your car and have good insurance and break down service.

the weather should be perfect when you arrive.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Brisbane
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gold Coast to Melbourne for 2 weeks

Gold Coast to Melbourne in 2 weeks is very ambitious and I fear you would spend all your time driving. I have driven this several times...sometimes just to get to Melbourne and sometimes as a road trip. My preferred coastal drive is from Gold Coast to Sydney and then maybe consider flying from Sydney to Melbourne. It is a really pretty drive too but if I had to choose one coastline to see it would be NSW. I think you will have a much better time by covering less distance. Otherwise you will have lots of one night stays! Given the age of some of your group I think it would be worth reconsidering. Suggested stops between Gold Coast and Sydney are

Byron Bay, Coffs Harbour, South West Rocks, Port Macquarie, Forster, Port Stephens, Inland to Cessnock (Wine Region) Back to coast and on to Sydney. From Sydney maybe visit Blue Mountains. Spend some time in Sydney then fly to Melbourne. This Itinerary would have you driving 2-5 hours between towns. Hence why I would recommend cutting the distance down.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Byron Bay
Byron Bay
Byron Shire, Australia
Coffs Harbour
Coffs Harbour
Port Macquarie
Port Macquarie
Forster
Forster
Port Stephens
Port Stephens
Greater Newcastle, Australia
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
3. Re: Gold Coast to Melbourne for 2 weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 05:17