We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our 1st family trip of 4 to Gold Coast.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Our 1st family trip of 4 to Gold Coast.

Hello Travelers, Beginning my husband and me discussed to choose 1 destination of the 3 places, Hong Kong, Japan & Gold Coast. As after several thoughts and discussion we decided to go Gold Coast " Free & Easy" where we would love to rent a car and drive on our own. I need help & guidance with regards of our 1st family trip of 4 to Gold Coast. My kids are age 6 & 7 and we has only 1 week to travel. We plan to fly 31st Oct and back on 4th Nov.

We decided to fly to Brisbane and drive down to Gold Coast. We will be departing on a night flight from SG arrival in Brisbane in the morning.

My girlfriend was suggesting us to drive down to Sunshine Coast for a view as the place is beautiful, but I wasn’t too sure do we have the time. She also mentioned to stay near this Shopping Mall called Havertown at Gold Coast where we can shop and eat at the same time. Somehow, we are going to cover areas which my husband and i actually marked. As I know these areas are not near to one another and might take hours to travel? I would like to check which is the most convenient area where we could stay and cover without travelling up and down?

Also my girlfriend mentioned since I am going to those famous theme areas, she suggested that I book online for the tickets as the queue would be super long.

I actually marked few areas which we need to cover.

1) Sea World, Sea World Whale Watch

2) Warner Bros Movie World,

3) Dream World

4) Paradise Country Aussie Farm Tour.

Does the Aussie Farm Tour have Kola Bear for us to take pictures together with them? My family would love to take pictures together with the Kola Bear.

Do you think we should stay put at only 1 apartment of we should at least change 2 apartments for our convenience? As I check the apartments mostly are like 2 days or 3 days apartment stayed.

Would love your help to guide me thru our itinerary.

Thank you so much.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our 1st family trip of 4 to Gold Coast.

Welcome to the forum!

The Sunshine Coast is about 1.5 hours north from Brisbane, whereas the Gold Coast is about an hour south. You could do both in a week if you really wanted to. However, if you are also planning to spend any time in Brisbane you might be pushed for time.

Your dates don't coincide with school holidays, so it's unlikely that the theme parks will be super busy. Having said that, the queues for prepaid tickets are usually shorter than the regular queues, so it can save you a bit of time if you buy them online beforehand. I suggest going to the theme parks on a weekday as there will be less people than on a weekend.

I've never heard of the farm tour, so I can't advise on that. I do know that you can get a photo with a koala at Currumbin Bird Sanctuary, which is close to the Gold Coast.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Our 1st family trip of 4 to Gold Coast.

Thank you Belle,

Will do a research for apartment and at the same time the traveling distance so that could able to match my itinerary.

Apartment wise is now a headache to me too, should i book 2 different area or just book 1 area and drive up and down.

Oz
Level Contributor
13,407 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our 1st family trip of 4 to Gold Coast.

Hi,

FWIW I would suggest that you stay in the one location on the Gold Coast and sight see and undertake activities from the one base.

I think you are confusing the Kola Bear (Bundy as in Bundy and Kola) with the Australian Koala or Phascolarctos cinereus. The Kola bear can be found in any Oz bottle shop. The Koala, BTW it isn't a bear can be found decreasingly in the wild and in animal parks/zoos.

Cheers,

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our 1st family trip of 4 to Gold Coast.

Have you thought of arriving on the Gold Coast.. Or coolangatta

Harbour town is ok..

http://myfun.com.au is for seaworld movie world and the paradise country

www.dreamworld.com for Dreamworld.

I think they have an ok bus shuttle thing there ...

Please don't forget your sunscreen its getting warm

Happy holiday down under

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
693 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our 1st family trip of 4 to Gold Coast.

i would suggest to come up to Sunshine Coast and go to Australia Zoo for the day stay overnight in Caloundra.

then you could go to theme park of your choice. they are all fairly similar I would say that Dreamworld would be the best as it has a water park as well as rollercoaster rides.

I would suggest staying at Broadbeach and having some shopping time at Pacific Fair. That time of the year there should be great sales on.

leave some time to just relax and go to the beach and soak up the atmosphere.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Our 1st family trip of 4 to Gold Coast.

Dear All,

Thank you so much for your informations. I am so touched and excited. I am jotting down all the areas and also my girlfriend was asking me to get a a apartment where the carpark is free. As Australia carpark is expensive.

I am very exciting for this trip.

I will be going to Seaworld, Movie World, Dream world, Whitewater & Currumbin bird Sanctuary.

If time permits i will drop by to some site seeing also the Harbour town.

Any recommand of car rental that is cheap too?

7. Re: Our 1st family trip of 4 to Gold Coast.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2014, 06:20