We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self drive in Gold Coast, how easy or difficult ?

Which Gold Coast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
9 posts
Save Topic
Self drive in Gold Coast, how easy or difficult ?

1st time to Gold Coast, going to stay in pepper broadbeach, will be visiting theme park and shopping areas.

With GPS it should be easy to drive to these places from hotel ? Afraid to lose my way and spend more time figuring my way...

Or should I just take public transport? The cost about the same?

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self drive in Gold Coast, how easy or difficult ?

With GPS it will be very easy. Roads are well signposted and you should have no problem.

Better to hire a car as Broadbeach is 30 mins drive to the theme parks.

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Self drive in Gold Coast, how easy or difficult ?

If you are comfortable with driving, the Gold Coast will be pretty easy to drive around, especially, if you have a GPS on hand. The road from GC Airport to Broadbeach is really just one major highway, so, that particular trip will be easy enough, and I doubt you would have too much trouble going elsewhere.

The only places where you want to be careful is Mount Tamborine, for example, as roads can be winding and steep. Just take care, and you should be fine.

If you want to take public transport, you will also have no problems, as the buses are easy to use. Given the option between car rental and public transport (unless, you are uncomfortable with driving), car rental does offer more flexibility.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self drive in Gold Coast, how easy or difficult ?

Its easy to drive in and around GC and its a very convenient way of seeing GC. The roads are well sign posted but as an outsider, a GPS will still be very handy, especially when driving in the hinterland. Yes, the roads around Tambourine, Springbrook and Lamington National park are steep and winding, but the traffic is not so heavy and as long as you follow safe driving procedures, it is very safe to drive on them.

Edited: 18 September 2013, 07:39
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Self drive in Gold Coast, how easy or difficult ?

Thanks for all replies, I used google map street view to have a real life feeling of what it seems like driving thru the roads.

- I saw some sign boards for parking like 1P meter 6 to 9pm sometime like that, I not sure what it means...

- also do I need to worry about toll? I only be going around Gold Coast and nearby I think, not too far

- anything else I need to worry about? Actually I just worry I might break some rules since I not familiar with things like single yellow line cannot stop...

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self drive in Gold Coast, how easy or difficult ?

There are no toll roads on the Coast.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,265 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self drive in Gold Coast, how easy or difficult ?

1Pmeter .. 6 to 9PM simply means ...

1 hour parking only, meter payment, between 6am and 9pm .... outside of those hours it's free.

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Self drive in Gold Coast, how easy or difficult ?

If you're worried about not knowing the road rules, there is information here: …qld.gov.au/safety/queensland-road-rules.aspx (click on the links under 'Need a road rules refresher?')

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self drive in Gold Coast, how easy or difficult ?

I did not find any non-standard or uncommon traffic rules. If you are familiar with driving in your home country, you should not have any problems with the traffic rules. The parking signs will affect you only in case you use street parking. Parking at most of the tourist attractions is free.

9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Self drive in Gold Coast, how easy or difficult ?

Thanks for all replies , I'll try out self drive, will there be problem if my flight is 9am Brisbane airport and my hotel at broadbeach?

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Self drive in Gold Coast, how easy or difficult ?

It is about 90 ks from Brisbane airport and should not take more than 60/80 mins. as it is nearly motorway most of the way.