We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Gold Coast on Schoolies!!

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Topic
Visiting Gold Coast on Schoolies!!

I have already booked everything and paid! But I realized too late that it was Schoolies week. What should I do, and I'm travelling with my children, what's there to take note of and how bad is it? Btw, I'm staying at Hotel Grand Chancellor.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,701 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Gold Coast on Schoolies!!

You really are in the centre of it aren't you! The "action" will be around the mall and the beach in front ... late at night could be very noisy near the beach, obviously with small kids you won't be out that late so will miss all that. I would be listening out for noisy guests in the hotel and would be complaining very quickly if there is any trouble within the hotel. It will be extra busy around Surfers but the problems tend to be of an evening ... good luck.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,125 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Gold Coast on Schoolies!!

Step one...go to the parks early

the schoolies are creatures of the night

Step 2... report as soon as there is an issue... they usually act pretty quickly

Step 3

Go to broadbeach to swim

The main sustanence is alcohol and kebabs ;) so you'll be OK if you eat early and at places that are not share meals

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,044 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Gold Coast on Schoolies!!

what dates are you travelling? Some stages of schoolies are worse than others.

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
676 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Gold Coast on Schoolies!!

As the others have said you won't have a problem during the day as the school leavers will be mostly sleeping. Most hotels have very strict in house rules and will dish out severe penalties or evictions to those who misbehave. Try and enjoy your holiday.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Gold Coast on Schoolies!!

It is not all that bad. As GW says start early each day, the schoolies sleep late. Almost anywhere along the beach except opposite the Mall should be ok for swimming. Not all of the hotels will take bookings from schoolies. Many are very diplomatic in keeping them out and stop them from entering the premises. If any problems come up it will be in the evening and I would expect that with children you would be comfortably in your rooms.

The whole experience will definately be an education.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
25 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Gold Coast on Schoolies!!

As a local we steer clear of schoolies for both the qld and nsw weeks. If location is something you can't change try to visit harder to access spots. Elephant rock, springbrook, go to dinner at fine dining. Avoid macdonalds in surfers at night. But like others said, the morning is better at the beach.

Enjoy your stay.

Sydney
Level Contributor
568 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Gold Coast on Schoolies!!

Hi,

W travelled to the Gold Coast a few years ago when the kids were about 4 and 5. Hardly saw any "schoolies" as like the others have said, we were out and about when they were still asleep and vice versa. We weren't staying quite as close as you were but still, really wasn't an issue. When I found out we were going to be there during schoolies I initially panicked, but for us, was actually less busy than Christmas time!

O.W.B.

8. Re: Visiting Gold Coast on Schoolies!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2014, 04:17