We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beach

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Best Beach

We are going to either go to Caloundra (Sunshine Coast) or Coolangatta (Gold Coast) for the last 3 days of our 3 week trip to just relax. I realize its a preference between a more calm, "hinderland" experience, vs shopping and theme parks. But we are just interested in the Beach Quality. What place has the better beach to just hang out on? Thank you in advance!!

Level Contributor
1,474 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Beach

I love Caloundra beaches, beautiful area..

Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,274 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Beach

both areas have some really nice beaches. but if you stay at Coolangatta on the Gold Cosst you are really a long way (at the southern end of the coast) from both the theme parks and much of the major shopping.

Coolangatta is however a more relaxed feel than Surfers or Broadbeach. More relaxed than Sunshine Coast would be debateable.

However the big Coolangatta plus is that if you have a car (and the local beaches get too crowded or otherwise disappoint) the excellent less visited Tweed Coast beaches are a short drive away. And a day trip to one of best

(though again busy) beach areas in the country, Byron Bay is possible.

Personally if I chose Caloundra I would be too tempted to explore the hinterland to bother with much beach time.

Edited: 06 November 2013, 20:36
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Beach

I'd say Coolie. Beautiful north facing beach, with lovely adjacent beaches as well linked by a lovely boardwalk. One of the best beaches on the GC.

Caloundra is a top spot but its main beach (Bulcock ) is on an estuary and can get quite windy ( favoured by Kite surfers). It also has a number of wonderful adjacent beaches though so you still cant go wrong.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,798 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Beach

The beach "quality" of either area is similar ... all really nice beaches. Depending on when you are going Caloundra will give you a quieter experience. Easier walking to facilities, less traffic. Less facilities and restaurants obviously but certainly it would be quieter than down south unless it was for a specific holiday weekend, then everywhere will be busy. Due to less highrise the beach also gets more sun.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,131 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Beach

Both areas have fantastic beaches.

When you say "hang out on" - are you wanting somewhere secluded or somewhere with nearby shopping and bars? Other people around?

You would go a long way to get a better beach than around Burleigh Headland.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,462 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Beach

100% with BB.

I'm totally biased, and I absolutely love Burleigh. Was even a grommet at North Burleigh in my younger days.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
6,109 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Beach

I reckon beaches on the Gold Coast are way better than the Sunshine Coast.

8. Re: Best Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 06:17
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor