We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in gold coat

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4 days in gold coat

Hi.

We are a young couple from Hong Kong who will be traveling to Gold Coast from 21-24Dec.

My hubby does not enjoy amusement park of any kinds. We will be staying at the surfer paradise the entire time and plan to spend 2 days hanging around it.

I am thinking to visit mt Tamborine and spring brook. We will probably rent a car and go by ourselves.

Do you think we would have enough time to cover these 2 places? If not, does GC have some other attractions offer to us?

Thanks for your help!

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,835 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in gold coat

The Gold Coast, as many other destinations, has more to offer than the obvious/cliched things. But can I ask you, why did you choose Australia's theme park capital and then say you don't want theme parks? Genuine question, I am interested in how travellers identify the destinations for them, where do the knowledge and the perceptions come from, etc? Now, to your trip planning, what DO you enjoy. Sounds like nature, scenery, yes? Also beaches? What else? The more you can tell us about what sort of holiday experience you want the more we can help you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,065 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in gold coat

Clare

You have plenty of time to do those 2 places but TBH, other than Jupiters why Surfers?

IMHO surfers is nightclubs and partying for younguns

When you get your car head to the northern end of the spit and take walk, Springbrook is nicer than tamborine IMHO

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in gold coat

We are visiting different parts of Aussie in Dec and since my husband has not been to GC before and he enjoys beaches and surfing, so we decided to spend a couple of days there.

Yes. your guess is correct. We enjoy scenery and nature and hiking.. But we will also be going to the blue mountain and spend a week in Tasmania. So I want to see what GC has to offer would be similar to we will be visiting in our next destination. ( indeed , before we head to GC, we will be spending a week in Bali and a few days in Bangkok)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in gold coat

Thanks Guru.

When I booked the accommodation few months ago, I wasn't planning to rent a car and that's why I prefer somewhere which is more convenient.

But as I'm getting closer to starting the journey, I thought perhaps spending 4 full days in GC is after all a bit too long, so now I'm exploring where else I could visit during my time in GC

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,835 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in gold coat

I can't help thinking it's the 'must do' factor again, a whole coastline of "beaches and surfing" to choose from . . :-)

Edited: 10 November 2013, 10:44
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in gold coat

If I do the mt Tamborine and springbrook on 2 days, would there be anytime I need to avoid visiting these places, say Sunday when most of the shops would be closed?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,065 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in gold coat

Sundays up at Tamborine are the busiest of the week for the shops :)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days in gold coat

That's good to know! We will be heading to mt tambourine on Sunday then!

Just wonder if the temperature up in the mountain would be very different from GC? Would shorts and tees plus a windbreaker suffice?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,065 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 days in gold coat

May not even need the windbreaker...

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 days in gold coat

Thanks all!

Now I have rented a car for 2 days and want to visit mt tambourine one day 1 and springbrook on day 2.

But upon research, it seems spending an entire day in springbrook is a bit too much. Does anyone of you have suggestion where else we could visit on day 2 along with springbrook?

Thanks!