We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from brisbane city to gc airport

Which Gold Coast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
5 posts
Save Topic
train from brisbane city to gc airport

Hi.. I'm planning a holiday to gold coast and Brisbane City with my wife n 3 grown up children. I wish someone could give me useful tips regarding the most economical but safe transportation :-

1) ool to palm beach(estuary motor inn apartment)

2) palm beach to Fortitude Valley Brisbane City (the Hub Apt)

3) the Hub Apt Brisbane City to ool gold coast airport to catch a 0905 flight.

Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,441 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from brisbane city to gc airport

The cheapest way to travel is by train... Nerang to Central Station, one train, no changes. If you get a GO Card it will cost around $12 each way P/P... but that does not allow for getting to the railway station at the Gold Coast, you will need to taxi or bus there. The apartments are also quite an uphill walk from the railway, there are no close stations.

On the right hand side in the top questions is a link to read in detail how to get from Brisbane to the coast. If you go to the Gold Coast forum you will find instructions how to get to the airport down there.

Kuala Lumpur...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: train from brisbane city to gc airport

Thanks.... I was quoted by gc airport shuttle aud199 from gc airport to estuary motor inn apartment which I find pricey for an 8 mins journey.

May I know how far is the apartment from the nearest train station or bus stop. Can you clarify about the quitenan uphill walk to the apartment from the nearest train station.

Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,733 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from brisbane city to gc airport

You've made a mistake or they've misunderstood you.

That quote sounds like its from Brisbane Airport, NOT Coolangatta.

I'm going by the fact you've asked about transfer from Brisbane Airport on your previous post, not Gold Coast - which is NOT an 8 minute journey.

Edited: 16 November 2013, 18:28
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from brisbane city to gc airport

The motor inn at Palm Beach is about 6kms from the airport. A taxi is your best bet and will cost you between $20-30.

Getting to Brisbane may become expensive. A taxi from the motor inn to Nerang Train Station from where you can catch the train to Fortitude Valley will cost around $60 for the 27km journey.

I'm sure there are some economical ways to travel from Brisbane to Gold Coast airport, check the FAQs for more detail. I'm not 100% sure when the first trains to the gold coast run but you could try checking http://www.airtrain.com.au for details.

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
756 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train from brisbane city to gc airport

maphilido, robol has most fo the details correct.

1. the best way to get from coolangatta airport to your apartment in palm beach is a taxi. as there will be 5 people travelling you will need 2 taxis or there are some maxi taxis which will be big enough to fit all 5 of you and your luggage. the taxis will be around $20 - $30 each.

2. there is no train station in palm beach. you will need to get to the nearest train station which is varsity lakes as this is the end of the line. as there will be 5 of you it will be easiest to ask your hotel to book a maxi taxi for you from the palm beach apartments to varsity lakes train station. the train will then go all the way to fortitude valley.

3. to get from brisbane to coolangatta airport for a 0905 flight will be difficult unless you get a transfer which may be around $150. you would need to do my answer to number 2 but in reverse. as you will need to be there by around 7-00am it is difficult to get there in time. perhaps staying the night before near coolangatta would be better?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,441 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train from brisbane city to gc airport

Just to clear things up Maphilindo ... the walk to the apartment I wrote about is in Brisbane, not the Gold Coast.

And I missed your time for flight out ... you will not get there by train at that time of the morning ... you will need a shuttle or stay closer the night before.

Just so you know, a shuttle from Brisbane to OOL is not cheap as it's a 1.5 hour trip, Brisbane and Cooloongatta are not close to one another.

Kuala Lumpur...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: train from brisbane city to gc airport

Thank you guys. I've much better idea now. Best regards.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train from brisbane city to gc airport

Thanks for the correction Lindsay, I think I'd only ever travelled to Nerang and had it in my head that this was the end of the line. Though isn't the line to Varsity Lakes a recent extension?

So yes, obviously a much better option for the OP to go to that train station by taxi than all the way to Nerang!

To the OP, you will be staying in a nice quiet area. Just so you don't think Australia is a total backwater, do not be afraid to visit the Broadbeach & Surfers Paradise areas. If you like more peaceful areas, try and do some exploring in the Gold Coast Hinterland.

Having said that you will be going to Brisbane also, so you will see a bigger city here too. I guess I just figure Palm Beach is not a traditionally popular place to stay for tourists, so do explore around!

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
756 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train from brisbane city to gc airport

robol, yes the extension of the line to varsity lakes opened maybe around 3 years ago, im sure it will eventually get to the aiport and coolangatta but its a while off as it hasnt even started to be built yet.

palm beach is just a very suburban beach area, not too much else in the near vicinity except maybe curummbin wildlife park if they want to see some aussie animals up close which most overseas travellers do want to see

10. Re: train from brisbane city to gc airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2014, 06:17