We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on Itinerary

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Feedback on Itinerary

Hi guys,

Im planning a visit to Brisbane in June next yearr. There will be 5 of us, my husband and I, and our 3 boys whom will be 4, 8 and 10 next year. I've prepared the following itinerary. Wld like your comment if i shoud amend/swap or on how to make it better, considering the boys' ages. We'll be renting a car.

Day 1 – Friday

Reach Brisbane in the morning

Upon arrival, collect car and proceed to Clandulla Cottages for farmstay experience

Day 2 – Sat

Free day in Clandulla Cottages

Day 3 (8th June – Sun)

Say goodbye to farmstay

Proceed to Gold Coast and check-in Sea World Resort (package includes unlimited entry to SeaWorld, Movie World and Wet & Wild)

Natural Arch

Dinner at Peters Fish market – better idea for fresh seafood?

Day 4 – Mon

Breakfast and dinner at hotel

Movie World

Day 5 – Tue

Breakfast and dinner at hotel

Wet & Wild / SeaWorld

Day 6 – Wed

Check-out SeaWorld Resort and check-in at Broadbeach

Carrara Market

Dinner at Max’s seafood (better dinner idea?)

Day 7 – Thur

Dream World

Jack’s kebab

Day 8 – Fri

Harbour Town Shopping

Pacific Fair

Shiraz nights (3106 Surpers Paradise Blvd, Gold Coast, QLD 4217)

Last day in Gold Coast

Day 9 – Sat

Proceed to Brisbane

Chk in hotel in Brisbane

Old Windmill

Mount Coot-Tha

Day 10 – Sun

A day trip from Brisbane to Noosa (include visit to: Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, Melany/Montville?, Mooloolaba Rainbow beach, Eumundi before driving back to Brisbane.

Shd i spend a night anywhere along the way? Is this trying to do too much in one day? Im hoping to be able to purchase cheese, macadamia nuts, etc.. along the way.

Day 11 – Mon

Southbank

Mick's nut shop

Last minute shopping around Brisbane town

Day 12 – Tue

Check out hotel and proceed to airport.

Flight at 2+ pm.

Can i find cheese, chocolate, nuts and candy factories around Brisbane?

Driving around in June to all the places mentioned shdnt be a problem in Brisbane i hope?

With the boys in mind, should I really go for all the theme parks or I can make do without one or two of them? Dreamworld, Movie World, Wet n' Wild, Sea World?

Thanks in advance guys! :)

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback on Itinerary

I can only make comments on the GC part of your trip, sorry!

DAY 3: If you are in the Main Beach area, there are plenty of restaurants. Are you wanting more upmarket or happy with fish and chips? If you want more upmarket seafood restaurant, there's Omeros Brothers: http://www.omerosbros.com

Be aware that Peters Fish Market closes at 7:30PM, so, you'll need to have an early dinner. It's also not a proper restaurant (there are benches/tables outside), if that's the kind of experience you were after.

As a side note, if you get up early, head to the Fisherman's Co-op (also in Main Beach): http://www.freshestcatch.com.au/ to see what kind of fresh seafood they have that day. They are open from 7AM until all of the seafood is sold.

If you like buffets, you can check out the restaurants at the Sheraton Hotel or Versace Hotel (both in Main Beach). Of course, these are not cheap!

DAY 4: Just a note about the car stunts show at Movieworld - Make sure to line up early so you can get some good seats in the shade. If you get in later (when it's close to showtime), the more chance you'll find yourself getting a seat in full sunlight, which can be very hot and not very comfortable!

DAY 5: I wouldn't mix Wet 'n' Wild with Seaworld, as they are in two very different locations. If you had to join two theme parks together, then I would put Wet 'n' Wild with Movieworld, as they are neighbours.

DAY 6: You can't visit Carrara Markets on this day. Carrara Markets is only open on Saturdays and Sundays. However, on Wednesday and Friday nights, there are beachfront night markets in Surfers Paradise. These are small though, in comparison to those you might find in Singapore, Malaysia, etc.!

I haven't been to Max's Seafood, so, can't really comment. However, there are so many restaurants in Broadbeach, so, you shouldn't have any issues!

DAY 7: Dreamworld - (This also applies to the other theme parks) Make sure to get the timetable of the shows, so, you can plan your day (and rides) around those shows that you want to see. Normally, this timetable is included with the park map, but if it isn't, make sure to ask at the front gates before you head off exploring.

With Dreamworld, be aware that there are no seats at the tiger show. Everyone stands around a railing, so, make sure to get there early or else you and your kids will be stuck standing behind others, and the view may not be as great.

Jack's Kebab is a bit of a strange choice, I have to admit! But, like Broadbeach, Surfers Paradise has lots of good restaurants, so, you won't be lost for choice!

DAY 8: Be aware that Thursday nights is late night shopping, which means that shopping centres open later than their usual opening hours. This means that you could go to Pacific Fair (open until 9PM on Thursdays), if you weren't too tired after Dreamworld, that is!

Finding cheese, chocolate, nuts, and candies won't be an issue. It just depends on whether you were after particular brands, etc. I know some of my overseas friends likes the Golden Boronia nougat, which you can easily find in souvenir shops in Surfers Paradise, for example. Depending on what you're after, even supermarkets like Woolworths or Coles might have what you want. Otherwise, you can look at chains like Big W, Target, etc.

I think Dreamworld is a great theme park - Even though they are home to the most major thrill rides, it is very family friendly - Lots of rides for kids, but also, animals. Movieworld and Seaworld are others worth going to, although, admittedly, not everyone is a fan of Movieworld (some people don't make it a full day, but others do, so, it just depends on your interests). If you're going in June, I would put Wet 'n' Wild as less of a priority, simply because I'm not too sure whether you and your family might find it too cold going to a water theme park.

Bring layers for June, as it is Winter here. Depending on your sensitivity to the cold, you might want to have some jackets, but, layers is best, so, you can remove a layer if it becomes too warm.

Driving in June will be fine for both Brisbane and the GC. The GC is pretty easy to drive around anyway.

Edited: 03 December 2013, 05:54
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,207 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback on Itinerary

Hi, day 10 really can't be done. You either do Lone Pine and something else maybe or go north to Montville and Noosa ... Lone Pine is south of the city and Noosa is a couple of hours drive north. There is a Discount Factory Outlet ( DFO ) just a few kilometers from Lone Pine if that interests you.

There is a Candy Warehouse in Hendra on the way to the airport but I think you will find supermarkets and KMart to be cheaper. At the DFO I mentioned earlier there is a large chocolate/candy discount store also.

As to cheeses and gourmet foods check out ... http://www.jamesstmarket.com.au/ ... for Brisbanes best gourmet supplies.

You also ask whether you are doing too much theme park stuff ... do you think Wet"n"Wild might be too cold? Even though the water is heated it is the middle of winter and you are from the tropics.

Edited: 03 December 2013, 07:55
Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback on Itinerary

Seaworld is great any time of year.

One of my boys couldn't do all the rides at Dreamworld because he was too little. Depending on the ride they have to be 110 -130 mm minimum height to go on the best rides. Not sure if it is worth it if they can't do the good rides. Our youngest was most upset that he missed out on so many. But I think there is more to see now than there was when we went.

Movie world was good for the police car chase but other than that it wasn't our favourite.

Edited: 03 December 2013, 10:39
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,871 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback on Itinerary

I'm with able58. You need at least 2 days for day 10. Have a night at Noosa, it's a beautiful location.

If you like markets co sided Eumundi market near Noosa on a Saturday and Wednesday morning, it is one of the best markets around.

I like the rest if your itinerary but yes Carrara markets are only on weekends.

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback on Itinerary

hi all,

I really appreciate all the comments. These really help a lot!

For day 10, i do admit i tried to do too much on that one day. im considering staying a night at noosa or somewhere along the way.

On the food choices that i mentioned, they are actually based on what's recommended and i need to find diners that dont serve pork. I'll look ard for more choices.

I'll be amending my itinerary, taking into consideration all your comments.... swapping days of some visit and stuff.

Im still thinking if i shd go for all theme parks! lol.. the seaworld resort hotel will include entrance to SeaWorld, Movie World and Wet & Wild.

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedback on Itinerary

You shouldn't feel restricted to particular restaurants. Most menus are pretty clear on what's included (e.g. if it was a pork dish, it should be clearly listed - If you do have any questions or other dietary requirements, just mention it to the staff). Do you need Halal restaurants (because if you don't, then, most restaurants will always have other dishes that don't include pork on their menu)?

Unless you need Halal (or other specific restaurants), you can also probably just pick restaurants when you arrive. I know some restaurants have their menus outside, so, you can take a look before you go in. If you do need Halal restaurants though, there's a list here: visit-queensland.com/iss/emerging-markets/tr… (Be aware that some are fast food/take away places and not proper restaurants) and halalsquare.com.au/gold-coast/search.aspx…

I would go Seaworld and Movieworld, and Wet 'n' Wild as a maybe. But, a definite yes to Dreamworld. Although, it's a good point raised above regarding minimum heights for rides. All of the theme parks have this kind of information on their website.

Edited: 05 December 2013, 22:38
Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Feedback on Itinerary

Thanks Arisanosila

I'd actually prefer to patron restaurants that dont serve pork at all.. Ill check out on the dining places nearing the visit. I'll just fix my itinerary first and work the dining places around the itinerary. The websites to the halal establishment are great help!! Thanks once again :)

I've changed my itinerary to include farmstay further north since i think i want to visit the sunshine coast area.

Here's my amended itinerary. Hope this is better than the initial one planned

Day 1 - Fri

Reach Brisbane around 7am -> collect car - > Drive North to Eumundi (checked with the husband, he shd be ok with the 1hr + drive upon touch down -> check in to Jacaranda Creek (any comment on this? gd reviews in the forum)

Pariticipate in the farm activities (not sure normally what time this starts but hopefully after we arrive)

Day 2 - Sat

Visiting Montville/Maleny/Mapletown, Kenilworth and Strawberry Field which i believe is around the area, the ginger factory too. According to my research, they do have cheese, macadamias and chocolate shops. Any in particular which is a must to go?

Day 3 - Sun

Check out Jacaranda Creek

Drive down to Gold Coast and check in SeaWorld Resort

Natural Arch

Day 4 - Mon

Wet & Wild + MovieWorld

Day 5 - Tue

Daytime Skypoint Observatory

Sea World

Day 6 - Wed

Check out Seaworld resort

Check in Paradise Resort Goldcoast

Pacific Fair

Surfers Paradise Beachfront Markets

Day 7 - Thurs

Robina

Harbourtown

Night-time Skypoint Observatory

Day 8 - Fri

Last day in Gold Coast

No plan (where can i go for half a day? wld like to spend some time at the hotel for the facility)

Day 9 - Sat

Check out Gold Coast

Check in at Brisbane (any hotel to recommend? Preferably near airport with accessible shops/eateries nearby)

Old WindMill

Mount Coot-Tha

Day 10 - Sun

SouthPark

What else can i do?

Day 11 - Mon

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary

DFO few kms fr Lone Pine. Kmart

Day 12 - Tue

Check out

Proceed to airport

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Feedback on Itinerary

Oh no.. i missed out DreamWorld..

Will insert DreamWorld on Day 8

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,207 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Feedback on Itinerary

Suggestions ... Day 10 ... Southbank (not SouthPark) ... is just a walk across from the city centre mall so you could do some shopping, or next to Southbank is the Cultural Centre which includes the Museum and a couple of Art Galleries. If you choose shopping that is a Sunday and the shops close at 5pm so not a lot of time.

Day 11 ... Lone Pine and DFO ... you will have to go to a shopping mall to find a KMart, either Indooroopilly or Toowong Village have KMarts on that side of the city, you will get a better selection of chocolates and candy at a supermarket, Coles or Woolworths ... however KMart does have very cheap clothing especially for kids.

Here's a link to find Halal Restaurants ... http://www.halalsquare.com.au/gold-coast/

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,207 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Feedback on Itinerary

Sorry, should have added ... you are better off with a hotel closer to the city, the airport area is not really tourist orientated and out in suburbia mostly, not a lot of shopping or life going on to speak of.

As you are driving up to the Sunshine Coast from the Gold Coast make sure your hire car company has you sorted for tolls ... there are a couple on the way.