We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Gold Coast

Which Gold Coast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Gold Coast

Hi all,

This is my first time spending my Christmas holiday in Gold Coast and I am very surprised by some of the attractions that they are not operating on the Christmas day. Can anyone advise me what can I do on a Christmas day with a group of 5 adults and a vehicle? 1-hour drive to the activity is still okay for me.. Please help me..

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Gold Coast

To be honest, it's really not that surprising at all. Christmas is a public holiday, and still very much celebrated here, unlike in some other countries where it's of no real big importance. Hence, few things are open - The same would apply if you happened to be here on Good Friday.

If you head to Brisbane, the popular Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary is open from 9AM-4PM on 25 December: http://www.koala.net

Other places: Enjoy the beach, visit the national parks, etc. There's also a Christmas Day cruise on: rivers.net.au/gold-coast-christmas-day_cruis…

As a side note, make sure to buy any groceries to cover Christmas day, or else, you'll be stuck shopping at convenience stores instead, where prices are generally higher than at supermarkets.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,551 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Gold Coast

I am surprised to learn that anything IS open, and as suggested there's always beaches/parks, and it's only one day (perhaps we need to make better efforts to advise overseas visitors of this so that they can schedule to avoid it if it's a problem).

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
441 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Gold Coast

I would be inclined to stock up on some food the day before & have a picnic/BBQ lunch up at Mt Tambourine or one of the beautiful beach areas.

Regards,

Karen

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
676 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Gold Coast

Agree with post no 3. Take the time to enjoy the beautiful beaches or Mountains.

5. Re: Christmas in Gold Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2014, 06:18