We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How's it like in Gold Coast in May?

Which Gold Coast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
22 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
How's it like in Gold Coast in May?

Hi,

I'll be in Gold Coast from May 7 2014 to May 13 2014 with my wife and my daughters (4 years old & 2 years old). After browsing the net, I found out that May is neither peak nor low season. So in order to plan things accordingly and perfectly, since I've never been to Australia before, I'd like to know (in the month of May):

1) Which is the most crowded and least crowded beach?

2) Which beach is the safest for my kids to swim?

3) Are the attractions (Movie World, Sea World, Currumbin Wildlife Park, Skypoint) crowded?

4) Will I get a rental car if I go straight to the counter without booking online (hopefully to get a discount because it's not peak season)?

5) Does it always rain?

6) Traffic condition?

Just for the record, I am not claustrophobic or agoraphobic, it's just that the lesser the crowd the merrier my family would be (more chances for us to experience things without the long queues).

Thank you.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,250 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How's it like in Gold Coast in May?

1. It depends on the weather. All beaches are crowded when it's hot, less when it's not. I've seen all the beaches both full and empty.

2. www.visitgoldcoast.com/places-to-see/… Depends on your kids competence level, but if they swim between the flags, they'll be safe. It's also up to the parents to supervise.

3. During the school holidays and weekends, it's crowded.

4. It depends on what specific car type you're after. There's a high chance you'll get 'some sort' of car. Whether its the vehicle you want, it depends on demand.

5. No. I don't know of any place in the world where it rains 'all the time'.

6. Depends on the season, time of day, day of the week. Friday and Saturday nights in the middle of Surfers is always heavy traffic year round.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How's it like in Gold Coast in May?

Kids from Queensland and nsw public schools are in school for the whole of May.

May is late autumn so it will be cooler. 23-13 temps av. It is more likely to rain in summer than winter in this area.

I think you will get a better deal pre booking a rental car. They sting you for last minute rentals because they can.

Edited: 03 January 2014, 13:38
Gold coast
Level Contributor
102 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How's it like in Gold Coast in May?

Good time to visit if you are

Worried about crowds as definitely not a time that tourists come

Weather in may is mild and sunny normally however downside is that water temp will have dropped and to us locals chilly.

You should have no problem at all getting good car rental deal and if you are worried by crowdsto visit the theme parks during the week.

Hope you enjoy your stay and make sure that you swim between the flags!

4. Re: How's it like in Gold Coast in May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2015, 05:18