We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpackers/Hotel & Transportation in Gold Coast

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
158 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Backpackers/Hotel & Transportation in Gold Coast

Hi there,

My teenaged daughter and I will be in Gold Coast from 3rd (ETA 8:05am) to 7th March (ETD 9:25am).

Our tentative itinerary includes:

1. Dreamworld

2. Movie World

3. Gold Coast Skydive

4. Currumbin Sanctuary

5. Learning how to surf

Can we get around these places in public transport or do we need to hire a car? If hire a car, please recommend a reliable car hire company. I have read mixed reviews on the company, Alpha.

If taking public transport is more feasible /justifiable, please recommend accommodation where public transportation is easily accessible.

If possible, we wish to stay in Surfer’s Paradise. Please recommend an inexpensive but safe backpacker’s inn or motel?

Many thanks,

~B

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backpackers/Hotel & Transportation in Gold Coast

I'm not sure about the location for the Gold Coast skydive, but everything else is easily located by public transport. Look on translink.com.au and use the journey planner to get the options for different buses.

As you're gonna be using public transport to get to these places id suggest looking up GO/SEEQ card to see what works out best for you.

Surfers Paradise really isn't a huge place, more like a suburb of the city of Gold Coast. From most places it's max 15 min walk to the beach.

I stayed at Couple O'Days backpackers, which is down Peninsular Dr and the street opposite the coach station and has a few different bus stops at the end of the road. It was cheap when I stayed $22 a night for a 8 share female with ensuite, not sure for price for smaller rooms but if you take a look on hostelworld.com then you can see the other options and reviews for each place.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Backpackers/Hotel & Transportation in Gold Coast

Elvispresleyuk (which by the way was my Idol), thank you for the information. I will have to decide between Couple O'Days and Coolangatta YHA. Problem with Couple O'Days, there is no email address for contact/booking. I'll have to call them from Singapore to make the reservations. Moreover, there is no indication on their website that they offer discounts for certain activities i.e. skydiving, Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary etc. whereas Coolangatta YHA offers. In addition, their accommodation rate is slightly higher.

I am still contemplating hiring a car as then our movements will not be so restricted. Do you know of a reliable car hire company?

Cheers.

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Backpackers/Hotel & Transportation in Gold Coast

Is there any reason why you're looking at YHA Coolangatta? While there is nothing wrong with staying in Coolangatta, I hope you realise you will be quite far away from everything, which means a lot more travel time, especially, if you're taking the public bus. Therefore, I would definitely recommend Surfers Paradise (or Broadbeach or Burleigh Heads) instead. Going to the theme parks from SP by bus will already take awhile on the bus, let alone, all the way from Coolangatta! I'm not sure the discounts you get for attractions would be worth the distance. Having said that, if you have already booked, then, no worries - Just factor in the transport time.

What actually is your budget per night for accommodation? The reason being is that there may be other options out there - just depending how much you're willing to spend.

My friends had no problem with Alpha. Another off-site company could be Apex for car rental. If catching the bus, the Go Card is the best option - Make sure to tap on and tap off everytime you get on and off the bus.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Backpackers/Hotel & Transportation in Gold Coast

arisanosila, Thanks for your feedback. There is no reason why we're looking at YHA Coolangatta, and no we have not made any reservations yet. It just didn't occur to me that YHA was that far away until you mentioned it. It is our every intention to stay at Surfer's Paradise but somehow deviated from it without knowing.

As for budget per night for accommodation, we would like to keep it low since we're not in the room most of the time. We would still like to have an experience with backpacking so if you know of any backpacking accommodation (with free WiFi) in Surfer's Paradise, we would welcome your feedback.

Re Alpha and Apex, I've read many comments about these companies so I'm a little hesitant about booking a car through them. However your confirmation has uplifted these worries from me so I might just check out their rates later.

I look forward to your recommendation on accommodation. Thanks! ~ Bel

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Backpackers/Hotel & Transportation in Gold Coast

Are you travelling anywhere else in Australia, or just the GC? I'm hesitant to recommend any hostels on the GC, as I have no experience with them. I have stayed in reasonable hotels for decent prices though (like under $130 per night - e.g. Vibe Hotel, which is very well-located right next to the main bus stop in SP), but not sure about hostels. I've seen some hostels in GC, but they are very much 'party hostels', so, not sure if that's what you're after. Other hostels are a bit further away, which means more walking time to central SP. If you can give an actual maximum price, it's easier to work with generally.

If you're going to Sydney though, the YHAs are good options there and very well-located (although, depending on dates, sometimes, you can even find hotels costing less than the YHA!).

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Backpackers/Hotel & Transportation in Gold Coast

Thanks, arisanosila. We only have 4 nights so GC is where we'll be staying throughout. Agree backpackers inn may be very much "party hostels" but hey, I have a teenaged daughter and I think she'll like that. Besides, we've never tried it before so it will be a first time for both of us!

We have surfed the net further and have come across "Sleeping Inn Surfers Backpackers" at 26 Peninsular Drive which I believe is within minutes to the beach. Have you heard anything good or bad about this place?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Backpackers/Hotel & Transportation in Gold Coast

I have stayed in YHAs in Coolangatta and in Main Beach (at Marina Mirage) and neither of those two are "party hostels." They are both basic but clean accomodation as you'd expect in a YHA. I used the private rooms (with shared baths). Both of those locations are slightly out of the way - probably why they weren't really "party" locations. As noted, the Coolangatta location requires a decent bus ride to most of the attractions, though it is directly across from the airport which is handy.

I don't know that we get too many backpackers here so there might not be so many people able to answer your specific question. There are some other backpacker/hostel review sites that might be worth checking out like this one: hostelbookers.com/hostels/…

Also, all accomodation in Surfers Paradise should be walking distance from the beach. If it's not, it's not really in SP! The Gold Coast strip is narrow...

Edited: 17 February 2014, 22:10
8. Re: Backpackers/Hotel & Transportation in Gold Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 07:17