We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Instant food & plus size clothes shopping

Which Gold Coast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Instant food & plus size clothes shopping

Hi,

Ive seen similar posts on the subject.. but I cldn't find info on the specific item I intend to bring in to Australia. We will be visiting Brisbane in June 2014.

I am wondering if instant canned food (canned sardines, etc) or instant noodle can get past immigration, if declared? If I cannot bring in, will I be able to find such instant foodies in grocery stores there?

Where can I shop for local plus size clothings and shoes? im a 20/22 UK, depending on cutting. KMart good enough? or any idea where else I can shop for these? We will be self-driving, thus might need info on carpark too, for those shopping areas.

I will reach Brisbane airport and proceed to Gold Coast for 6 nights, Mantra Circle on Cavill. Harbour Town and Pacific Fair already in my itinerary - is 1 day enough?. From Gold Coast, we will travel to Wattle Gully farmstay @ Maleny for 3 nights and will end my holiday for another 3 nights at Replublic Apartment in Brisbane centre.

My itinerary is kinda ready. I just need some fine-tuning on the places to shop while we're at those places.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Instant food & plus size clothes shopping

You can certainly buy canned sardines and instant noodles here in Australia. If you are hiring a car and travelling down to the Gold Coast directly from the airport there is supermarket located in the Novotel/ DFO complex that would be easy enough to make a detour to before you head down.

http://skygate.com.au/info/store/woolworths

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,539 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Instant food & plus size clothes shopping

Supermarket shelves are lined with tinned food of every imaginable description. Just go into any Woolworths or Coles store and help yourself. All the major department stores including David Jones, Myer, K Mart and Target have specialty sections for plus sizes.

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Instant food & plus size clothes shopping

Thanks guys!!

If I remember correctly, our apartment Mantra Circle on Cavill has woolworths below the apartment.. Thanks for the info.. will chk out the grocery section.. and major department stores for the plus size clothes! :)

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Instant food & plus size clothes shopping

Yep, there is a Woolworths there. Next to your hotel is the Towers of Chevron Renaissance, and underneath there, is the other major supermarket (i.e. Coles).

No problems finding plus size clothing. Of course, you can't compare shopping at KMart (discount department store) to David Jones (department store), so, if you're after brands, I'd go to Myers or DJs (I personally prefer Myers over DJs), but if you just want cheap or don't care about brands, then, KMart, Big W and Target are good options.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,454 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Instant food & plus size clothes shopping

Hi,

>>I am wondering if instant canned food (canned sardines, etc) or instant noodle can get past immigration, if declared? If I cannot bring in, will I be able to find such instant foodies in grocery stores there? <<

>>Where can I shop for local plus size clothings and shoes? im a 20/22 UK, depending on cutting. KMart good enough?<<

Does paragraph 1. lead to paragraph 2.?

Declare everthing that you bring with you and let the experts at Border Security decide if you can bring it in.

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,400 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Instant food & plus size clothes shopping

Robina has a huge and rather nice shopping centre. Good variety of department & chain stores.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Instant food & plus size clothes shopping

Also for your clothes shopping try City Chic and autograph chain stores as some of the more common labels.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Instant food & plus size clothes shopping

<<Does paragraph 1. lead to paragraph 2.?>>

Nice, OZRCFLYER, you have me laughing out loud and the people next to me wanting to know what's so funny :)

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Instant food & plus size clothes shopping

:( cld be, ozrcflyer.

anyway wanted to bring in instant foodies cos we'll be there for 2 weeks.. my husb and i and our 3 boys.. and at times will be wanting to save a bit by dining in instead of out.. since our apartment has kitchen..

Yep.. will be declaring everything and hope for the best! :)

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,231 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Instant food & plus size clothes shopping

instant noodles cost between 30c - $1 a packet - why on earth would you bring them with you

oh, and please don't get straight off your flight and into the rental car - I know it is not very far but you will be tired, you will be driving an unfamiliar car on unfamiliar roads and having to obey unfamiliar road rules- for the safety of your 3 kids AND for the safety of other road users - have a nights rest before you even think about driving. And do check to see whether any of your kids needs a car seat - rules here are very strict on this and you will pay big fines if caught with the kids not properly restrained.

driving straight after a flight ....what is it with Singaporean drivers? this seems to be a particularly Singaporean problem at the moment ..

Edited: 04 May 2014, 07:20