We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hire a car or use public transport?

Which Gold Coast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wimmera
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hire a car or use public transport?

Hi, my partner and I are heading up to the Gold Coast for a long weekend in late May.

I'm wondering weather it would be more economical to catch public transport or hire a very basic car.

We are staying in Surfers Paradise and I have looked at hotel to airport transfers which will cost around $100, all up for both of us.

We are planning on spending 2 days at dreamworld / white water world and going to outback spectacular and spending the other 2 days by the beach and shopping.

Since we are both 24 the cost of getting a hire car is slightly higher, I've got quotes for around $250 at the cheapest.

My concern with getting public transport is that we are both from the country and not very good at / used to using it. I can't really get a good idea of how much trips to dreamworld etc would cost off the Internet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hire a car or use public transport?

You can catch the public bus, route 777, directly from the airport to Surfers Paradise. That only costs $6.28 each (card fare), so if you do use public transport, I would use that instead of the transfers you've booked. This bus has luggage storage and most accommodation wouldn't be very far from one its stops.

I think the Gold Coast is a great place to use public transport - the network is simple (for your purposes) since most destinations are along the primary north/south strip. Buses are very frequent and comfortable, stops are well marked, and fares are reasonable with a goCard, which is available at the airport and can be topped up at any convenience store.

The Journey Planner is really convenient - http://jp.translink.com.au/ - assuming you have a smart phone, you can easily check timetables, and I think there are apps available too.

The main reason I'd consider a car is if you wanted to take day trips into the hinterland - or other destinations well off the coastal strip.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,049 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hire a car or use public transport?

This question has been asked many times and the benefits and pitfalls of both have been expressed. Rather than reinvent the wheel may I suggest you use the search engine at the top of the page

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hire a car or use public transport?

For two of you, purely from economics point of view, public transport should be cheaper if the cheapest car that you are getting is $250 per day. For a family of four, the scales would probably tilt in favour of a rental car. If you convenience and flexibility of schedule is important for you, then a car would any day, be the preferable option. Again, that would be more relevant to a family. Young couples would probably be willing to rough it out a bit if it saves a bit of money.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,086 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hire a car or use public transport?

That $250 must be for the entire weekend yes?

Have you done a thorough search? try ... http://www.expedia.com.au/ .. to get an "overall" look at a few companies. If you can get car hire around $200 I'd go for that. You will save loads of time when doing the theme parks which can take ages by bus.

Edited: 15 April 2014, 06:00
Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
41 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hire a car or use public transport?

I would definitely hire a car, or you will waste half your time waiting around for buses that often take the longest possible route to get somewhere and the system is not always easy to work out.

The surf beaches at Burleigh Heads, Currumbin, and Coolangatta are lovely for swimming.

Currumbin Creek and Tallebudgera Creek offer stunning swimming and sunning locations - unbelievably pretty. The mountains at Mt Tamborine offer great swimming holes and there is a huge rock pool at Currumbin Valley. Here are some of my pics if you are interested: http://www.dreamhorsemedia.com/gold-coast/

You need a car to get to some of these places as the bus routes are quite limited. For such a short trip, I would highly recommend a car for the Gold Coast as you will get a lot more time to relax and sightsee.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hire a car or use public transport?

I usually use an international car rental company, but this trip, there was a mix-up, and I found myself carless on the Gold Coast. It cost my son and I $66 to get the Air Train from Brisbane Airport to Helensvale. I ended up renting through Andy's Car Rentals, and it was a great rate. It's definitely worth having a look: http://www.andysautorental.com.au/ I've been wary in the past of local companies, but it worked out perfectly. I lived on the coast for twenty years, and I'd never rely on public transport on a holiday here. It's definitely worth it to have the freedom of your own car, especially if you get a good rate.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hire a car or use public transport?

I usually use an international car rental company, but this trip, there was a mix-up, and I found myself carless on the Gold Coast. It cost my son and I $66 to get the Air Train from Brisbane Airport to Helensvale. I ended up renting through Andy's Car Rentals, and it was a great rate. It's definitely worth having a look: http://www.andysautorental.com.au/ I've been wary in the past of local companies, but it worked out perfectly. I lived on the coast for twenty years, and I'd never rely on public transport on a holiday here. It's definitely worth it to have the freedom of your own car, especially if you get a good rate.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hire a car or use public transport?

Public transport is reasonably convenient, especially if you buy a go card at the airport - you can even return it to the counter and get the $10 deposit back on your way home - my only comment is that the bus drivers could benefit from some customer service training.

Edited: 14 May 2014, 12:30
9. Re: Hire a car or use public transport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 05:15