We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Brisbane to Sydney

Level Contributor
21 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Brisbane to Sydney

Hi we are planning a four night five day drive from Brisbane to Sydney. thinking of a stop in Byron Bay, Coffs Harbour, Port MacQuire and Hunter Valley. Is this about right or any other tips and suggestions. Any thoughts on best car hire companies to use? Thank you Caz

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Brisbane to Sydney

This could help

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c3001/Austral…

In the reverse order of course

Oscar

Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Brisbane to Sydney

Looks like a pretty good itinerary. You can always opt for the scenic detours along the way as well, they take you through a prettier drive than the highway - the scenic detours signs are a brownish colour.

I think only the big car companies allow you to drop off in different locations.

Avis

Hertz

Budget

Europecar

Without too much of a drop off fee.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Brisbane to Sydney

Other option - Byron Bay / Crescent Head / Port Stephens / Hunter Valley.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,896 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Brisbane to Sydney

If you're not travelling in a busy time, I would leave your options open. Over the 5 days just cruise down the coast dropping in to all the lovely little inland and beach side towns, staying where you end up. Some like Byron, Coffs, Port Mac and Port Stephens, I don't, I'm more of a Yamba, Hat Head, Crescent Heads, Crowdy Bay and Tea Gardens etc type of person, these places still have a bit of the old fashion beachy feel about them, I suppose each to their own.

IMO, don't plan, stop when you like the place. (this depends on when you are travelling), and when are you travelling?

Robert

Level Contributor
21 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Brisbane to Sydney

Thanks all. Robert it will be early April end of Easter Monday week and going into that weekend, so thinking that might be a busy time ?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,216 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Brisbane to Sydney

Are you talking of next year?

Level Contributor
21 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from Brisbane to Sydney

Yes next year, planning ahead, real trip if a lifetime so lots to arrange :-)

8. Re: Drive from Brisbane to Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2015, 05:15