We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in winter/August

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
153 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming in winter/August

Hi

we're heading to GC in the first week of August 2014. I've been looking at historical weather and it looks to hover around 20 degrees during the day and 10 degrees at night. We are from Singapore which is very hot and humid 360 days of the year so .. the question is, does anyone actually hit the water parks or even swim in the pools during this period??

I remember many many years ago when i was in GC during my winter break, i actually did some surfing at the beach and swam and i thought it was tolerable but my husband thinks i'm mad!

Any advice is much appreciated!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
499 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming in winter/August

Hi,

The water parks should be heated, but it is cold when you are out in the open air or waiting in line etc.. My husband & kids went to white water world last winter & they said it was the best time to go as not as many people & no line ups & waiting time.

You still see people swimming at the beach in the middle of winter, again it's when you get out of the water that is cold.

Karen

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming in winter/August

Some people do swim at the beach in winter. They are mostly from Victoria, Tasmania and New Zealand! As a Singaporean you'll freeze unless you get a wetsuit. Not just the air, but the water is quite cold too.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,522 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming in winter/August

Bbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - I'm from the tropic too and I wouldn't swim in winter unless the water was heated.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming in winter/August

Even heated water is just not heated enough.

5. Re: Swimming in winter/August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 06:16