We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slightly off-travel question about the M1

Which Gold Coast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
411 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Slightly off-travel question about the M1

We drove from Broadbeach to Byron Bay today along the M1 and noticed many hectares planted with a crop of tallish green plants - perhaps flax, however I didn't recognise it and wondered if someone could enlighten me please? There were no apparent flowers or vegetables being produced. I've never seen this foliage before.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,716 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slightly off-travel question about the M1

Sugar cane...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
411 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slightly off-travel question about the M1

Very young sugar cane?? It wasn't all that tall. When do the 'canes' appear? I wondered if it was sugar cane but as I couldn't see the canes I promptly discounted the idea and couldn't come up with a better answer! Thanks for solving that small curiosity.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slightly off-travel question about the M1

Sugar starts off about 30cms tall and in the cooler areas like Northern NSW it will take almost 2 years to grow so the crops you've seen wont be harvested until late next year. Its a grass so when young it looks like many other grasses. I will be about 3 metres when harvested.

The area you drove through is one of the few remaining cane areas outside North Queensland with the closure of the local refinery rendering the end of the Sunshine coast industry a few years back. Fingers crossed the many hectares of greenery on the Byron drive remains for years to come.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
411 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Slightly off-travel question about the M1

Thanks so much for the reply. I do recall reading of the closure some years ago but as I'd promptly forgotten about it it didn't register when we were driving through the area.

5. Re: Slightly off-travel question about the M1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 18:48
Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
5,996 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Slightly off-travel question about the M1

Good idea Glenn. Hopefully all the farmers stop farming and then we can make big nature reserves, join hands and import all our food from overseas!

7. Re: Slightly off-travel question about the M1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 18:48
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,716 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Slightly off-travel question about the M1

Yeah…lets go back to lilli pill, wattle seed, warragul etc and wallaby/roo etc

no Glenn totally serious…

environmentally sound..just need to burn each year to ensure the status quo

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
5,996 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Slightly off-travel question about the M1

lol Glenn I'm willing to wager I know a lot more about farming than you my friend :)

Maybe you would like to ban all activity that has an adverse environmental impact and send us back to the stone ages?

Perhaps we could add the mining industry, cotton, commercial fishing, logging, cropping in general, commercial sheep and cattle to your list of environmental vandalism?

I've got no affiliations with cane farmers but to call them environmental vandals is mixing the coffee a bit strong and totally uncalled for.

Perhaps you should think of the implications before asking for everything to be banned. Not everyone can work in offices you know or live on the pension ;)

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Slightly off-travel question about the M1

I'm not advocating the banning of anything. Each of those industries you've listed have had their issues with environmental damage.

A great many individual farmers have seen the writing on the wall and are working to repair the degradation caused by generations past. The vast majority though have had to be dragged, kicking and screaming into the 21st where over fishing, over clearing etc are no longer acceptable.

Sugarcane farms are for the most part family run business's, handed down through the generations. The trouble is that they are still doing the same things Grandad did and couldn't care less what happens to the chemicals they use once they have done their job.

The days of this type of farming are surely limited. FYI, I neither work in an office nor collect benefits of any kind. If I did it still wouldn't preclude me from having an opinion