We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gold coast 'winter'?!!

Belgium, Wisconsin
5 posts
Save Topic
gold coast 'winter'?!!

Hello guys, I've got an important question:

This summer i'm going to the Gold coast, to be exact: in July till the end of July.

But I looked on websites that it's winter there?!! I exactly thought it was warm there, and so that I could surf.

The thing I want to do there is nothing other than surfing, (I can't surf yet) But I want to learn it, I will bring wetsuits with me, and I also want to go to those 'pro surf beaches' and literally trying to surf there.

Has someone other good ideas what I could do with the surfing or what I can do else there on the Gold coast, which is worth to be seen? (except those whales, because that's not what im really looking for haha)

Edited: 15 June 2014, 09:05
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gold coast 'winter'?!!

The average July temperature on the Gold Coast is around 19deg Celsius, or about 66F. I'm not sure if you would find this cold or not, but you would probably need a wetsuit in the ocean.

There is lots of other things to do around the Gold Coast, there is the hinterland to explore, theme parks, you can easily go to Brisbane from there too.

I take it you didn't realize before you booked this, but Australia is in the Southern Hemisphere, so our seasons are opposite to yours. Your Summer is our winter, and our Summer is over Christmas time. Our winters aren't nearly as cold as yours though, it doesn't snow here except on the mountains. And because Gold Coast is further north, it's warmer than Sydney or Melbourne.

Belgium, Wisconsin
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: gold coast 'winter'?!!

yes, indeed, i totally forgot that part!! hahah, but is it cold for you there?? is the sun shining? is the water blue?? haha, are there BIG waves?? haha and where are the most big waves there?? I know surfer paradise, burleigh heads beach..

what kind of exciting things or can you give some big examples of going to Brisbane? because that's where i'm going too,to brisbane, for going to the Gold Coast.

besides i'm going also to Sydney, what do you recommend, to do there? which shopping centres are famous there?

i'm really looking forward surf!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,210 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gold coast 'winter'?!!

Winter in Queensland is nothing compared to Wisconsin.

Especially if you're considering a wetsuit (or half suit). Even if it's a little cold, you'll live up to your username. Gold Coast is great for right hand breaks, in particular Snapper and Burleigh (stay away from the point).

Belgium, Wisconsin
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: gold coast 'winter'?!!

what do you mean with "stay away from the point'

Is it not a good idea to surf there? because i really wanna, thats why im coming to australia.

other question: what are "right hand breaks"? has is to do with the fact if you are left hander or right ??! ? i don't understand hahah

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,210 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gold coast 'winter'?!!

Hello,

The 'point' is the headland where the rocks are located at Burleigh. It is one of the reason why the beach is popular for breaks, but it's also the reason why it's hectic with other surfers.

The direction a wave breaks is what determines a left or right. If the wave is breaking left to right, when you're catching the wave - you have to turn right to 'get on the wave' - that is a right hand break.

Don't worry, your instructor will explain this to you.

Belgium, Wisconsin
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: gold coast 'winter'?!!

oww thanks!! euhm, I think I'm going to do it by myself.

but I put my rigth foot forward on the board, that doesn't make difference, right, to get on the wave, in perspective of a right hand break? ?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,640 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gold coast 'winter'?!!

This is a travel forum not a surfing forum. If you are going to have lessons you will learn all this then. If you are not going to have lessons then please walk up to the lifeguard on the beach and tell him what you are doing so he can stop watching everyone else on the beach while he waits to rescue you !

Belgium, Wisconsin
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: gold coast 'winter'?!!

alright, I'm sorry.

9. Re: gold coast 'winter'?!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 05:17