We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

somewhere to stay the night between Mackay and Rockhampton

nsw australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
somewhere to stay the night between Mackay and Rockhampton

I have had a good look at the map and Clareview seems to be the only town we can stay at to break our journey.

Have I missed something?

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: somewhere to stay the night between Mackay and Rockhampton

Yep, there's not much in between. Most drivers don't stop; staying at Rocky or Mackay where you have plenty of choice. Try Carmilla - should be a pub or caravan park there.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: somewhere to stay the night between Mackay and Rockhampton

You havent missed a thing.Most will drive straight through though there is a nice ice cream stop about half way.

Look up www.racq.com.au

to give you an idea on driving times and what little is on that stretch of the road.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: somewhere to stay the night between Mackay and Rockhampton

Both towns are great, but it is pretty bleak in between.

There is a nice hotel (old pub) next to the main bridge in Rocky that might be worth a try. The corner room with the juliette balcony is best.

Have fun.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: somewhere to stay the night between Mackay and Rockhampton

In my younger days my mates and I would drive straight through to Rockhampton from Mackay.

There is not much to see and it would be a good idea to take something with you , so that you can stop at a picnic area for a break.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: somewhere to stay the night between Mackay and Rockhampton

If I get away from Brisbane before 7am I will drive straight through to home which is well north of Townsville. Rocky for lunch, Ayr for dinner, then home. A few more comfort stops for the kids. Going the other way we tend to stop at Rocky then on to Brisbane.

If you want something "to do" while travelling north, I'd skip Mackay (nice beach, shame about the urban sprawl) and go to Airlie which is an hour north of Mackay. You'll get there at beer'o'clock so perfectly timed!

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: somewhere to stay the night between Mackay and Rockhampton

Our approach is a bit like Whiteman's. The "Marlborough Stretch" (to Mackay) is the worst. There are 110kmh stretches because the road can be very straight, but there are many signed 'Driver Fatigue Zone's because the road is so straight and there is nothing to see on either side apart from trees. Really it's only about a four hour journey so do you you NEED to stop in between? You could always aim to stop at Sarina (half an hour south of Mackay) if you just can't make it to Mackay.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: somewhere to stay the night between Mackay and Rockhampton

Watch those damm roos on the Marlborough stretch, they can do a lot of damage and it is not much fun in the middle of nowhere. talking from experience :(