We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive up to Eungulla

Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Drive up to Eungulla

Can anyone tell me what the drive up the mountains is like. I'm a nervous person when it comes to mountain roads & don't want to be on a narrow winding road that hangs off the edge of the mountain. Thanks :)

Airlie Beach...
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive up to Eungulla

With that avatar you are nervous??

Just take it easy, no need to race.

Avoid this road at night or in fog and you will be fine.

Elaine

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,690 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive up to Eungulla

yes. Its a different story if you are driving a big big campervan etc . But otherwise a car is fine and take it easy. Its not an overly long climb up anyway. Make sure your brakes are ok though...

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
750 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive up to Eungulla

The road to Eungella is narrow, steep and windy and does come close to the edge a lot. I don't like driving on it and always make my husband drive while I close my eyes in the tight spots, lol.

York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,347 posts
1,652 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive up to Eungulla

It is windy and narrow but I don't remember thinking we were about to drop off the edge or anything!

Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive up to Eungulla

It is a winding steep road but there are 2 lanes the whole way and a few spots for slow vehicles so others can get past. I wouldn't recommend in heavy rain or fog/low cloud. Just take it easy and use your gears, especially on the way down. If it has been raining and the road's a bit wet take it very slowly when you go across the grates on the road as they can get slippery. You'll be fine.

Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive up to Eungulla

The drive to Eungella. Is fine. It is very enjoyable especially if you stop at the little pink church for a coffee or a meal. It used to be a church but now a great food stop. I go there often and never disappointed. It is beside the much advertised Pinnacle Hotel.

Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive up to Eungulla

The drive to Eungella is quite delightful. As Queensland is a relatively flat state, 'mountain ranges' here are more like steep hills in comparison to mountainous countries like New Zealand. It is a relatively steep drive but there aren't any frightening sheer drops and the road is wide enough for two vehicles to pass along most of the journey. It's certainly nowhere near as scary as driving to a ski field. Local cyclists bike up it regularly. Once at the top of the range, the drive to Broken River to go platypus spotting is a nice drive, after Broken River if you are intending to drive to Eungella Dam, a large part of the road is unsealed and has wandering cattle, so take your time along this section. For a breathtaking view across Pioneer Valley, stop at the Sky Window walk on the road to Broken River. It's an easy stroll, wheelchair accessible through cool rainforest to a clearing which gives you a spectacular photo opportunity.

8. Re: Drive up to Eungulla

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2017, 09:16