We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining out in Launceston...help pl???

Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Dining out in Launceston...help pl???

My husband and I (from Bondi) are escaping the kids for a week to Tasmania. We have only one night in Launceston so do not want to waste it on a poor dining choice. We are staying at Peppers Seaport. We prefer to sample restaurants where the locals would choose to dine, with good food and wine, with charm and character rather than expensive, pretentious places. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Bondi
Bondi
Greater Sydney, Australia
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
Peppers Seaport Hotel
Peppers Seaport Hotel
1,048 Reviews
Launceston, Australia
Novaro's Restaurant
££££, Italian, Australian
Brisbane Street Bistro
££££, European, Australian
Sweetbrew
££ - £££, Cafe, Australian
melbourne
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining out in Launceston...help pl???

at peppers you are 5 mins from local pubs and eateries, just ask reception at peppers, they are very helpful with suggestions of all types of dining

which time of room are you staying in??

Ive stayed there.

Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining out in Launceston...help pl???

Thank you Lilyana. Will do. Think it is a River View room.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining out in Launceston...help pl???

very nice, we had a river view suite, with brekie included, suite 2004.very nice,i have a review on, although i think some pics from another property got attached to it also!!!

enjoy

Cygnet, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining out in Launceston...help pl???

Hi Aussieholiday..

When there at Christmas we found a restaurant called "Fee and Me" cant remember the street but its in the town centre.. another place we tried was the "Stillwater" on the river front just by the yachtclub,both were not the cheapest places in town but the food was fantastic.. and the Tasmanian wine.. well suffice to say we did sample quite a few..

Enjoy Launceston..

Mentioned in this post
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining out in Launceston...help pl???

Aussie holidays, Fee and Me and Stillwater are the most expensive restauants in Launceston. For example Stillwater, a three course for one (no wine) is around $86. The wine list is extensive but you will pay through the nose. There are a couple of restauarnts a slight distance out of town, Strathlynn (Tamar Valley) located just outside Legana (it is owned by Pipers Brook, and under their name in the phone book). Rosevears (near Grindelwald, another wine estate) is a little futher on and is set high on a hill overlooking the Tamar River The Gorge restuarant is in the Cataract Gorge (about 20-25 minutes walk from Peppers), it has a reasonable name but I have not eaten there recently so I cannot vouch for the quality of the food. There a re a couple of reasonable eateries next to Peppers (Mud for one) which serve pretty good food. I hope you enjoy your holday in Tas

Mentioned in this post
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
The Tamar Valley
The Tamar Valley
607 Reviews
Launceston, Australia
australia
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining out in Launceston...help pl???

This is worth checking re Stillwater:

bestrestaurants.com.au/booking/…

It gives you an idea of the look of it - it has charm and character, it is in a very old mill, which has old pine floor boards, beams, but chic and stylish - it is right on the river, at the mouth of the walk up to the cataract Gorge. It is very stylish, and as previous poster siad, expensive, but a lovely atmosphere. The pictures on that website give you an idea of the 'feel". Fee and Me is a different atmosphere - it is in a grand old house, with a series of rooms. it is much more formal, and has won several Gourmet Magazine restaurant of the year awards. It is a quite different atrmosphere. Very nice, but quite different. If you are staying at the Seaport, you can walk along the boardwalk to Stillwater - a nice walk (about 10 minutes) along the river bank. A taxi to Fee and me is not far either. Fee and Me has a only a degustation menu (you might ring and check, but I am sure that is right).

Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining out in Launceston...help pl???

Thank you all. Off tomorow. Was considering Stillwater but it is closed on Sum pm. Suspect others will be too.

Manchester
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dining out in Launceston...help pl???

hiya- am from launie. No local would go to fee and me or stillwater! I have lived there most of my life and don't know anyone who has been to either more than once. Not they prob don't serve great food- but there cusoimers are tourists.

Go to the star bar on st. johns street- great food, kids welcome and top atmosphere. Also royal on george has great food and drinks.

Hope that helps!!

australia
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dining out in Launceston...help pl???

I am surprised it the above comments from classy shaz - many many locals go to these two restaurants - they are quite different (as I outlined in aprevios post), but both are stylish, well patronised (by both discerning locals and discerning tourists) - they are well thought of by locals (and I have absolutely nothing to do with either of them; nor am I invovled in hospitality industry at all.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dining out in Launceston...help pl???

I can recommend 'fee and me' it isnt cheap, but if you are used to paying Sydney prices, you wont be offended. Great service and wine list. Some of the wineries are really great too, better for lunch though. You should also check out the 'roman baths' in the city centre. A great way to spend a couple of hours relaxing. The best food in tassie i think is at franklin manor in Strahan. Not sure if you are going down the west coast, but if you are make sure you check it out.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Strahan
Strahan
Tasmania, Australia