We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To stay in Launceston city or not?

Singapore
Level Contributor
85 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
To stay in Launceston city or not?

I'm planning to cover Tamar Valley area to Cradle Mountain region in 2 days. There's 6 of us including 2 young kids. Where would be a nice & convenient place to base? I was thinking of Deloraine. Any suggestions for a 2 bedroom accomodation?

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To stay in Launceston city or not?

I found Tasmania to not be like mainland Australia in that towns that looked like major towns on the map turned out to be quite small when you got there. I drove through Deloraine but remember very little about it (maybe a Honey tasting place ?) so I don't think it will be very big. Are you flying into Launceston ? Are you experienced drivers ? You could look around Launceston (cataract gorge, scenic drive, hang glide by wire) , drive to Mole creek, do a cave tour, then still make it to Cradle mountain by nightfall. Stay there overnight, do walks, see a tassie devil (even at night) then head back via the big Maze place (Tasmazia) about 40 minutes away.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: To stay in Launceston city or not?

I would personally stay at Launceston.....unless you can do one night Cradle and one night Lonny....I've stayed in a 1bd apartment (they have 2 as well) at the Sebel...very nice, small kitchen & balcony too, reasonably quiet area but still near city centre (having said that Launceston is quite small....everything is walking distance just about).

As mentioned...the kids will enjoy Cataract Gorge....depending on the time of year there is a swimming pool there as well as the chairlift...nice walking tracks...various eateries...peacocks wandering about...wallabies (pademelons I think they're actually called) too! Lovely scenery that the adults will enjoy also I think....quite unlike anything I saw in SG...tasmania is a beautiful place.

Singapore
Level Contributor
85 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To stay in Launceston city or not?

Thanks wildo & adelaide74

We've driven around other parts of Australia before, just unsure of the driving time between place (including time where we might want to stop of sight-seeing along the way).

You're right, there's so much to see & I'm not sure if I've planned too much to do (so that kids & my big brother will not be bored) or too little. We'll be driving to Launceston from Bicheno, via St Helens, so I'm not sure if I'll make it to Cradle Mountain for the night without tiring everyone out. Is it really that hard to find accomodation in early Dec?

Singapore
Level Contributor
85 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To stay in Launceston city or not?

Thanks wildo & adelaide74

We've driven around other parts of Australia before, just unsure of the driving time between place (including time where we might want to stop of sight-seeing along the way).

You're right, there's so much to see & I'm not sure if I've planned too much to do (so that kids & my big brother will not be bored) or too little. We'll be driving to Launceston from Bicheno, via St Helens, so I'm not sure if I'll make it to Cradle Mountain for the night without tiring everyone out. Is it really that hard to find accomodation in early Dec?

Sebel looks good from the website but the price of A$350 for a night in 2 bedroom is over my budget of about A$200-250 a night.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: To stay in Launceston city or not?

Yes, it is expensive unfortunately....what about Quest Launceston? Still well located...the chain *generally* has a very good reputation...perhaps check any reviews on TA as well.

In addition...if you are prepared to take a bit of a chance and book last minute you might be able to get it on a website like wotif.com.....you can booked up to 28 days prior to arrival....as far as I know early Dec is free from any high demand events in Lonny (like school holidays etc). It's a gamble...but Ive never had a problem with booking that close....you will save a considerable amount too.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To stay in Launceston city or not?

I found stayz.com.au handy for booking accommodation : see link for launceston, but they do all over. stayz.com.au/accommodation/…launceston

As for driving times, just search for "Tasmania Driving Times" and you will get many results. They are quite accurate, depending on traffic. eg …tourismtasmania.com.au/visit/driving_times.… and many others.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
788 posts
656 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To stay in Launceston city or not?

Wildo is correct about Deloraine - I made a specific point of stopping there becausae I had an ancestor who lived there for a time - I was disappointed to find very little of historical interest left and a much smaller town than I expected.

When we stayed in Launceston we stayed at a B&B on Windmill Hill (I think it was called) which was probably less than 1 km out of the main town (and all downhill going in...) - walked past some very old buildings by Australian standards, very interesting & the B&B was mid-Victorian (period, not State). Not sure if prices for 6 would be prohibitive but it was very competitive for 2 Something to consider.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To stay in Launceston city or not?

It is called Windmill Hill Lodge

Singapore
Level Contributor
85 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To stay in Launceston city or not?

Thanks for all your information. Now I'll settle for my accomodation stop in Launceston. Quite like the Quest Apartments (stayed at one in Bunbury, WA, no complains) only concern is the noise issue raised in the reviews. Will be checking out Windmill Hill Lodge.

Launceston
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: To stay in Launceston city or not?

If you are going to do that in 2 days you won't have time to sleep!

Get answers to your questions about Launceston
Recent Conversations