We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to travel to Tasmania

Which Launceston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Townsville...
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to travel to Tasmania

My husband and I are planning to go to Tasmania sometime between early May and Mid June 2008.When would be the best time to travel?? We don't mind cool and crisp weather(would prefer to avoid wind and rain as much as possible) We are looking to fly into Hobart and depart from Launceston.Other than those places stated we are also going to Cradle Mountain. We are hoping to do alot of bushwalking. Is mid June too early for snow?? We will have 10 days in Tassie.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to travel to Tasmania

i was in Hobart mid June 2006 and snow was on mt wellington.

it was definetly cool and crisp, and we only got showers.

Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to travel to Tasmania

Tassie's weather around that time can be quite cool most days are around 16 degress and nights are even cooler. I can't promise you great weather but days are usually clear that time of year. And you'll get some great prices for accommodation is it's low season and there's plenty of choices.

Things to do in Hobart:

- Salamanca market (on every Saturday 8am to 3pm)

- Day trip to Port Arthur to see convict ruins

- Half day in Richmond (a historic town 25 mins from the city)

- Cruise on the Derwent river (loads of different choices)

Cradle Mountain is lovely and should have snow in the area at that time. There's plenty of well signed walks (my favourite is a 2.5 hour walk around Dove Lake).

Another great spot is on the east coast at Freycinet, where with a bit of a hike, you can see one of the world's best beaches, Wineglass Bay(although no good for swimming as you can imagine how cold it is).

Launceston is nice and you might like Cataract Gorge which is a few minutes drive from the city centre where you can do rock climbing and abseiling as well as walking & hiking trails.

Hope you have a great time

From a Local Hobartian.

3. Re: Best time to travel to Tasmania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 19:19