We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip tips

Which Launceston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gold Coast
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip tips

Have just returned from a weeks holiday in Tassie we stayed in Hobart Grand chancellor and hired a car,we just done day trips travelling no further than Port Arthur in distance per day it was brilliant, no stress trying to see everything just to say we have been there.

Anyway we want to return this time and land at launceston ? then travel across the top end in a campervan (with toilet) has anyone done this and have a good itinerary we could follow ?ie good places to stop etc. + 7 to 10 days van hire.

Also if we took our dog would this be a problem he is a lap dog. Travelling sometime in January 2010

Thanks in Advance to any replys.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip tips

Hi Cliff and welcome to the Tasmanian forums!

Great to hear that you had a fantastic holiday in Hobart and surrounds.

Northern Tasmania has a lot to offer, and you will be able to fill your 7-10 days easily. Although I have not travelled in a campervan, this is an often discussed topic on this forum, so do a search to find other threads that would be useful.

In that amount of time, you could spend 4 days in Launceston/north east exploring, 2 days at Cradle Mountain, and 4 days on the north west coast (Burnie/Devonport/Circular Head). This is just an idea to spread your time out evenly, but will depend on what exactly you like to see and do. What are your interests? Are you planning on seeing anything in particular? If you could let us know then a more tailored itinerary could be suggested.

As for taking your dog with you, have you seen the websites on pet friendly accommodation? Good tips and suggestions on where to stay.

barinya.com/australia/travel/Pet_Friendly_Ac…

Cheers,

Gold Coast
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip tips

Thanks for the reply, no we do not have any preference to places to visit at this stage, we are still trying to go through all the options.Thats why i thought any one done anything simular would be agood start or good to follow specially in acamper van 2 people only and possibly the dog if permitted?.

Cheers Cliff

Tasmania
Level Contributor
968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip tips

Hi Cliff

hopefully someone who has done something similar will fill you in on their trip soon then! In the mean time have a look at trip reports on the forum, great source of information.

Just a thought, all animals, including pet dogs, who are brought into the state are subject to quarantine requirements. It would be a good idea to give their info line a call to check out the requirements (1800 684 215)

Good luck!

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip tips

Hi Cliff,

Re travelling with your dog in campervan. Agree with possible quarantine regulations, and are you actually travelling form Gold Coast with the campervan if bringing dog? Surely not flying dog down to Tassie just for this trip? I have had a couple of friends travel around Tassie 12 days hire, in campervan. They mostly stayed in Caravan Parks and used facilies there as they were not in faviour of using dump offs etc for emptying toilet in campervan. Though they occasionally stayed overnight by a river, but you do have to check where you can stay for 12hrs or more, there are a lot of regulations. Pricing will be must dearer in Jan as it is peak tourist season being school holidays. If you can leave it a little while your camper hire might be cheaper. The NW area and obviously in between from Lorny has a lot to offer, depending on what your interests are. Can you give us an indication? I have enjoyed around Westbury, (Pearn's Steam museum) Deloraine/Mole creek area, Sheffield ( town of murals) yet there are some great areas around Zeehan, Roseberry & Corinna all with wilderness and mining history. I've been doing some research myself on the NW so I'll back and make note of sites I have checked, and get back to you soon.

Cheers

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip tips

Ok Cliff here is a list of sites I've checked recently. Some are for actual attractions etc.

The obvious one is

www.discovertasmania.com.au - has a great section on info re food & wines (which would be good around early part of yr)

www.hobarttravelcentre.com.au - info on all tassie

www.touringtasmania.info - I was searching for Dip Falls.

www.parks.tas.gov.au (national parks info)

www.getaway.ninemsm.com Do a search for Tasmania, lots of articles.

www.the mercury.com.au ( hobart /tassie leading daily newspaper) Has great listings for top 10 in each area.

www.corinna.com.au

www.rasberryfarmcafe.com

www.41south-aquaculture.com

Obviously as you research you just follow other links and it is amazing where it leads you. Tassie has something to see around every corner, and it is all different.

Happy planning. Glad to see you are going back. Our son has just asked us to accompany he & partner in late nov (Hobart-to stanley depart Launceston over 9days) and we were already planning autumn trip (april/May) with brotherinlaw & partner who missed out on our 3rd trip august last year due to ill health 19hrs before departure. You could say that I enjoy going back to tassie, and see something different each time.

Cheers

Tasmania
Level Contributor
968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip tips

Sorry flossy, just spotted a typo in one of the websites you listed! (where's that edit button??)

Christmas Hills Raspberry Farm's website should read as follows:

www.raspberryfarmcafe.com.au

Cheers!

Goldcoast
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip tips

Wow,thanks for all the info this will really give me a headache for a few days looking at all the options. regarding the dog yes we will be flying over ,the reason I had considered taking our dog is that we met a lady on the plane who had taken her dog with her, the cost was not that much more than a stay in the kennels. At this stage we possibly will not be taking him as at some of the parks dogs are not permitted etc.

once again Thanks

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip tips

Thanks Red for the observation & correction. Fingers don't work too well when it's late & I'm tired.

Notice reply now from scoota186 rather than Cliffgoldcoast-gather they are same couple?

Anyway, hope you gain some info from our suggestions. that's what it is all about, the sharing of ideas & info. Happy planning.

Cheers

9. Re: Trip tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2010, 05:17