We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kid-friendly restaurants in Launceston - also allergies

hobart, tasmania
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Kid-friendly restaurants in Launceston - also allergies

Spending a week in Launceston with the kids aged 8 and 5 - can anyone recommend some kid friendly places to eat, and a special mention of any that are allergy-aware?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,534 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kid-friendly restaurants in Launceston - also allergies

Jailhouse Grill on the corner of Wellington and York is much favoured by families. Morty's foodhall across the road is also popular. Elaia in upper Charles Street is also family friendly, but a bit more expensive. And the chocolate shop in the lane opposite the picture theatre in Brisbane Street is excellent for a treat. And of course there are Maccas in several of the suburbs.

Sorry, I can't attest to anybody's allergy awareness.

Luigi

Tasmania
Level Contributor
444 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kid-friendly restaurants in Launceston - also allergies

Hi Fariybreadgirl

With children of that age you should be fine at most mid range restaurants in Launceston - unless they are likely to want to run around the restaurant yelling, in which case most diners in most places would get fed up pretty quickly.

As Luigi suggested, Morty's is good and relaxed with lots of options. The Chocolate Studio in Cuisine Lane (the one Luigi mentioned) has a play area for children.

Other options worth checking out would be Fish and Chip or Cube at the Seaport, the Cataract Gorge Kiosk for an informal lunch in a stunning location, and the Muffin Kitchen behind the Quadrant Mall (cash only). The Metz on the corner of St John and York Streets also have a kids menu, though the crowd there can be quite trendy. My 6 and 10 year olds ate there last night with no apparent inconvenience to anyone - but then they are angels (at least when they're in public).

Lani

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,534 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kid-friendly restaurants in Launceston - also allergies

Lani, I was hoping you'd answer this. I was fresh out of ideas after Maccas!

Luigi

Glen Waverley
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kid-friendly restaurants in Launceston - also allergies

We were in Launceston in Sep '09 and came across the Cock 'n Bull Pub for Lunch. Our yougest is 7. The food is very good and a good price too. The chips are especially good and we are coming back soon without the kids as we enjoyed it alot!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
378 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kid-friendly restaurants in Launceston - also allergies

I think most restaurants in Launceston will cater for allergies if you ask ahead of time. Morty's wouldn't though as that is just a food court albiet a kid friendly one.

Seaport Fish and Chips are great and very kid friendly

Burger Got Soul on Charles Street just has burgers (and chips) but the range is huge and they are all very delicious.

Newstead Hotel have a pub menu as well as woodfired pizza and a kids play area.

Jailhouse Grill as suggested before is nice too.

6. Re: Kid-friendly restaurants in Launceston - also allergies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2010, 08:17