We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bargain Car Rentals Launceston

Which Launceston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Bargain Car Rentals Launceston

Another positive review about a car rental company!

Reservation handled efficiently and a query email was answered promptly Wasn't aware they would take a non-refundable deposit too early in the piece but as all went ahead as planned it was no drama - you still have to pay!

Car almost new and perfectly clean. Fuelled and ready to go - pick up took 5 minutes, and return even quicker. Opted for zero liability and all up the rental cost was half that of the big boys - and with unlimited mileage. Only small thing was that I wasn't given a run-down of the controls and facilities, so had to stop briefly to figure it all out - no big deal, really. Can't fault them and would use again.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,006 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bargain Car Rentals Launceston

Great to hear another good report BCR Tony. I hire lots of vehicles on the Mainland every year, and I don't recall one renter giving me a run-down on the car I hired :o)

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,327 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bargain Car Rentals Launceston

Thanks for the report, Tony. The consensus seems to be that they're a good company.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bargain Car Rentals Launceston

Thanks for comments, Rob and Luigi. Interesting that it seems not normal to give renters a run-through of the vehicle. Maybe I got so used to renting in Asia where they go through everything!

Yes, Bargain do seem good - but of course we only ever really know how good when you have a smash or breakdown. Previous reviews have been positive, though.

Cheers

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bargain Car Rentals Launceston

We booked online for a vehicle and were advised we could collect same at Launceston Airport. As we arrived aafter 5.30pm we were advise to ring their office and they would provide details. We finally found the car......there was no rear vision mirror and the air conditioning did not work and there was no radio aerial so no radio!!!

We were leaving Launceston early the following day and the staff member that we rang on our arrival was in Hobart!! Midway throug our holiday we returned the car and asked for a refund which was granted. We were told that the aerial must have been broken whilst the car was parked at the airport (despite there being rust where the aerial had been) and probably the fuse had blown on the air-con. All the other cars on the lot had central rear vision mirrors!!!! There guys are cowboys.....would never use them again and would not recommend to anyone travelling to Tasmania.

Hervey Bay...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bargain Car Rentals Launceston

My sentiments exactly Tudor Coalgate. We would not recommend this company to anyone travelling to Tassie. We hired a car online for 10 days. On the 8th day the car was parked when another driver whilst parking in front scraped a small bit of paint (no dents). We opted for ZERO liability i.e. we paid insurance but were slogged extra $300 BOND ?????? on return of vehicle. As we had to catch a plane & had limited time we paid the bond but would never recommend them to anyone. We had the other drivers details, insurance etc. but apart from a phone call when we got home to say the repairs would cost just over $300 have not heard another word. Rip off if you ask me !!!!!!

Sydney, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bargain Car Rentals Launceston

Hmm, mixed reviews here! Would have thought it be common procedure to go through the rundown of the vehicle for the renters handed over the keys!

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,006 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bargain Car Rentals Launceston

GAO, go and rent a car from Avis at the Brisbane Airport, NO run down at all. We do our own before we leave the shop, and advise/request staff to highlight the items/issues we've identified on the condition sheet. I rent approx. 3 to 4 vehicles a year, and in the last few years have never had a pre-take run down, here's your keys, here's your paper work, sign your paper work to say all is OK. Same thing happened in Melbourne with Hertz last year, we inspected the car, noted some minor scratches on the car not identified on the condition report, we asked for them to be noted, the staff said they're not worth worrying about, we demanded they get noted, they did with, but weren't happy about it, so there's a lot of slackness out there.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bargain Car Rentals Launceston

Can only agree with Rob. We've rented through all the major companies and have never had a run down. The last time was in Launceston several weeks ago, we got a late model Renault that doesn't even have a key. We worked it out though. I did have to consult the owners manual to stop the seat massage and to turn off the heater in the seats! I'm not sure its slackness, its just the way it is. Perhaps GAO is involved with a campervan company where a run down is sort of compulsory

Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bargain Car Rentals Launceston

Here are my post rental thoughts after using Bargain Car Rentals booked via Honk.

Honk appear to be a 'virtual' car rental company. My booking went through Cartrawler and was delivered by Bargain Car Rentals. I paid an upfront booking fee of $27.41 and the rest when I picked up the car. The booking was out of Launceston Airport Tasmania, Aust.

The saving over a major was about AUD $35. Was it worth it? Not really... While it all went pretty smoothly, I had to wait at the airport to be picked up and only after I called them. It was supposed to be at airport/meet and greet. This did not happen. So, this took longer. The depot was a few minutes away. The car was fine.

On return I had to allow extra time to deliver the car and get shuttled to the airport.

The car was fine, perhaps not as new (66k kms) as the majors but clean and well kept. Mind you the shuttle bus was pretty average not giving a good first impression!

The staff were excellent, very helpful and friendly and did all they could to make things easy for me.

Another thing that turned out irritating was the fuel policy. You return it to the same level as you pick up. This is not that easy to estimate as opposed to just filling up before return. It was supposed to be a full to full rental.

So, on balance, for a smallish saving, not really worth the effort. For a larger saving, say for a longer hire, it would be worth the effort. Apart from the extra time involved in dealing with an off airport pickup/delivery, all was fine.

Would I do it again? Probably not (unless the saving was seriously good)!

YMMV

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,327 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bargain Car Rentals Launceston

Good to hear you enjoyed your trip. Thanks for the report.