We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penguin Tour

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Topic
Penguin Tour

We are thinking of joining a penguin tour in Low Head in early Feb. However, it costs a lot if we ask for a pick up service to and from our stay in Adina Place Motel Apartment. Is it safe to drive at night from Low Head back to Launceston. It is said that no lamp posts are found, is it the case? Thanks.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,248 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Penguin Tour

There are no street lights on the East Tamar Highway, but it also happens to be the best highway in Tasmania. It was built for the Pulp-Mill-That-Never-Was. I think it will be OK for you to drive at night, but be careful as there are many animals on it at night.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Penguin Tour

Rural roads in Australia are not lit, and wildlife are more likely to be wandering when it is darker, though they can be encountered at any time.

>>It was built for the Pulp-Mill-That-Never-Was.<< Interesting. I read the threads as much for myself to learn things.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,019 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Penguin Tour

When we recently visited Tasmania, we coined the phrase "YADA YADA" for the experience of driving on rural roads: "Yet Another Dead Animal". Even living in rural WA as I do, I have never seen so many run over critters on the highways. It was very sad :-( So as Luigi recommends, drive carefully at night.

4. Re: Penguin Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 05:16