We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes

Which Echuca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Mosquitoes

We are considering a houseboat holiday at Echuca in October 2014.

My concern is mosquitoes as they just love my blood for some strange reason.

Are mosquitoes a holiday wrecker during this time of the year, or any other time for that matter?

6 replies to this topic
Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes

To put it simply, no matter where in Australia you go there are mossies and they bite. They can be in slightly bigger concentrations around rivers but if you let yourself worry about it you'll never get to travel anywhere.

Take plenty of aeroguard or equivalent and perhaps some camphor candles. If you do get bit, put on some sting goes or camomile lotion and don't scratch! At night, wear a very light cotton top with long sleeves, similar to what you would wear if you were fishing during the day to protect you from sunburn, so that you are better protected.

I'm allergic to insect bites, they swell up on me big time and this is what I do to assist. However, I'd never let them stop me going on holiday!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes

we live near the Murray but a little upstream from Echuca. No mossies this year but each year is different and depends on lots of factors eg rain, temperature, etc

Suggest you just take all the necessary precautions.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
211 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes

October shouldn't be too bad unless we get a hot spring/early summer. Lots of spray and some mossie coils/citronella candles at dust, you'll be right. Don't let mossies spoil any holiday.

Edited: 28 October 2013, 03:11
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes

On a recent trip were mosquitoes where a problem I took lots of vitamin B two weeks before the trip and wasn't bitten, but partner did get bitten who hadn't taken the vitamin B.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes

very interesting about the vitamin B thanks! stay indoors at dusk as the sun is setting as this is when they are worst. Dont pull up at night in an area of dense vegetation as they hide under bushes and swampy areas. Near flowing water should be ok. Down towards Barmah they can be bad.

Ensure you houseboat has insect screens on windows and doors and email the owner about this, and request that any repairs are seen to.

dont underestimate the illness that can occur from mozzies. I knew a woman that got ross river virus in SA and was so very sick for 2 years- couldnt even go to work.

Happy holiday!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes

In my experience antihistamine tablets help with the itch and also get some MediCream from pharmacy - it has local anaesthetic and antiseptic, so is useful for more than just mozzie bites.

Reply to: Mosquitoes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Echuca