We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay on the Great Ocean Road

Lakewood
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay on the Great Ocean Road

We are planning on touring the Great Ocean Road area for four days. Where is the best place to make our base?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,315 posts
1,484 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay on the Great Ocean Road

Melbourne experts will give you great advice, but for my two bobs worth ,we enjoyed staying at Lorne and Port Campbell.

Port Fairy is another lovely village which is a must to see, and further along GOR is Robe, a gorgeous village, we stayed overnight in the local pub here and had great fun with the locals.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay on the Great Ocean Road

Lebob

Are you planning the trip into and out of Melbourne or are you driving Melbourne to Adealide (or visa versa)?

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay on the Great Ocean Road

Lebob, we give out so much info on the GOR. It is varied depeding on length of stay, interests of the tourers, weather conditions, etc. Look at some of the posts using the search facility, just type in Great Ocean Road.....like I said there are a lot there and you only need to read a few to get some idea of what things you would like to incorporate....another question is if you want to do the ferry ride across from Sorrento to Portsea. I think it really adds to the trip and my preferred base would be Warnambool but that will depend on what you want to see and do on your journey.

Woodford, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay on the Great Ocean Road

Lorne!

Phillip Island...
Level Contributor
503 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay on the Great Ocean Road

I spent about 10 years living in 3 towns along the GOR (Torquay, Aireys Inlet and Lorne).

For what it's worth I'd recommend the following:

1st night - Lorne (lots of great restaurants and accomodation to choose from;

2nd night - Apollo Bay (you definately have to eat at Chris' Restaurant whilst there - the food and views are divine - you can also stay there too!) It's just gorgeous;

3rd night - Port Campbell

4th night - Warrnambool;

Enjoy your trip!

Lakewood
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay on the Great Ocean Road

Thanks for all the advice!

7. Re: Where to stay on the Great Ocean Road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 22:15