We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

melbourne (st. kilda ?) questions / feb. 2006

los angeles
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
melbourne (st. kilda ?) questions / feb. 2006

I am 32 yrd old femal from Los Angeles traveling to Melbourne with another friend in Feb. 2006. thinking of staying in St. Kilda as we want lively environment with lots to do. Is that the best place ? What other nearby areas should I visit and see. I am there for 3 days ....

thanks !

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,713 posts
1,660 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: melbourne (st. kilda ?) questions / feb. 2006

St KIlda is located on the coast east side of the city and within easy tram ride into the heart of the city.It is a cosmopolitian casual suburb with some great cafes. Eat at the Stokehouse..lots of young people drinking with lovely view of the beach.

Its close to Chapel Street and Toorak Road.

MUST DO: Shopping

Bridge road - Richmond oulets

Brunswick Street - Fitzroy funky

Chapel Street - South Yarra trendy

Department stores city.

See Southgate and southbank - restuarants/cafes

The Docklands - ditto

Botanical Gardens

Federation Square

Melbourne Museum

Queen Victoria Market

Take ferry ride to Docklands

Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: melbourne (st. kilda ?) questions / feb. 2006

3 days in St Kilda will be great,there's heaps to do.If your into live music check out the Prince of Wales and the Espy and all the restaurants along Fitzroy St. and Acland St.It has a pretty good beach and they have weekend markets along the foreshore,Sunday 10am-5pm.There is also lots of public transport such as buses and trams.

For shopping,check out Chaple st. South Yarra (often called the Fashion strip of Australia) and Bridge Rd. Richmond.

Get answers to your questions about St Kilda
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor