We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions with excursions !

Which Maafushi Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions with excursions !

Hi Guys,

Am unable to make up my mind as to which excursions should I go for. My resort Stingray Beach Inn is providing trips to Anantara Dhigu, Biyadhoo Island Resort, Fihaalhohi resort, Holiday Inn Kandooma, Fun Island resort, Rihiveli, Embudu Village trip, Sandbanks trip, Picnic Island and Dolphin Cruise. I have 4-5 days to try out various excursions. Any particular suggestions ?

Regards,

Mohit

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,119 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions with excursions !

I am actually shocked that so many resorts are opening their doors to day trippers . ... in my way of thinking ... you are staying at a guesthouse to save money ... why spend it to visit a resort for a day? for the money , you could stay there .

biyadhoo is worth a trip for the reef if you enjoy snorkeling . fihalhohi and embudhu also have a reef.

I cant think of any reason why you would want to visit dhigu , kandooma or fun island

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions with excursions !

Pondering.........Maldives visitor numbers still on the up. More visiting guest houses, less visiting resorts equates to resort islands seeing a reduction in visitors hence opening doors to guest house visitors.

Resort guests not happy with influx of guest house visitors equates to guests not returning to those resorts.

Also......budget islands losing out??? Budget islands increasing prices to cope with low numbers equals less people going to budget island, more people going to guest houses??

Are the Maldives losing the middle market. Will there be more 5 star, high priced resorts and none of the new, promised for so long, new mid range islands??

John

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions with excursions !

I pretty much agree with what John offered here. Resorts have to have their gates opened up for the day trippers otherwise the middle market would see a downtrend.

Any particular resort island which you think is a must go ?

Regards,

Mohit

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,119 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions with excursions !

I don't think that's what john is exactly saying ... at least not in a positive way . many of us go to the Maldives for the serenity and supreme quiet and peaceful athmosphere on islands . I would not in a million years visit a resort that allows daytrippers as the vibe would be completely altered .

I gave you my thoughts on the island I recommend you visit . biya for snorkeling

Edited: 13 March 2014, 19:07
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions with excursions !

Such a weird way this tourism industry in the Maldives is shaping up, people staying at guest houses and paying to do day trips to resorts. So they can pretty much drink, wear bikinis and snorkel. And because there is cash in it, the resorts are permitting it. I can't think of anywhere else that has this disjointed way of operating, not so endemically, it's really very strange if you think about it.

Anyway, if it was me, I would pick fiha and maybe embudu,

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions with excursions !

By the time you pay for all those day trips and pay full resort price for booze, im pretty sure there wouldnt be much in it if you just went to Biya or embudu in the first place. Then there is all this hunting around for sharing boats back and forth. I mean, even the guest house experience with international flights cant be cheap in the bigger scheme of things. For £500 more each, just go to a resort and it would be worth it for leaving all the transport/ day tripping stress behind you.

An i genuinely believe that a percentage of people book these 'hotels' and 'Inns' for their maldives holidays because they are cheap and completely unaware they are on a local island with all the resultant negatives. Then they realise they have to get to the place and they further realise the only way to get a drink or wear their cossie is go day tripping.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions with excursions !

sorry for going off topic; dolphin cruises normally result in dolphin sightings especially in the channel near Kandooma and Biyadhoo. Biyadhoo has a great reef and cheap bar so if they allow day trippers then i would go there. Depending on cost, a remote picnic island trip is also a nice way to spend half a day.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions with excursions !

Yes, Paul is right, have you compared the price with that of a resort,,,I mean all in, inc the price of day trips and food and drinks at resorts v what you get at a guest house?

I would be surprised if it was very much more expensive, and you would have, in my option, a much better holiday than camping out at a guest house then paying to have day trips to resorts.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions with excursions !

Not sure if too many agree with me but I personally don't see any issue in day tripping. A hop to 3-4 islands, as per me is better than staying at one/two particular island(s) during your entire vacation. Moreover, you are not taking the pain for it too when your guest house is arranging all the stuff.

It's just a difference in the perspective. The sinking of Titanic was actually a miracle for the lobsters in the kitchen :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions with excursions !

Hmmm,,,,but you are going to an island where you are not resident, some won't even let you use sunbeds. Paying to eat and drink there, which is very expensive, and snorkel, and how long can you snorkel for, and spend the entire day there, on the sand, or nursing your one expensive drink in the bar,mthen go back to have a dry supper ie no booze at your guest house, at about 6 o clock or something,

I guess that's just not my type of holiday,,,,