We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Now many days on maafushi is enough?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
314 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Now many days on maafushi is enough?

I will be staying in the Maldives for 7 nights. At least 4 of these will be on a resort island, while the rest of 3 nights will be on an local island to see the real Maldivian life ( this gives us a total of 2 and half days on a local island) . Right now the most popular local destination seems to be maafushi.

However, I am questioning myself as I don't know what to do on the local island. I don't mind taking a day trip but definitely not to another resort. Am I giving myself too much time on a local island? Is 2 nights (1 and half day) on maafushi plenty enough? What's to do on a local island without resort hopping?

Ps. I don't drink so I don't mind the no alcohol rule.

Also, any other suggestion of local quint island other than maafushi is welcome.

Active Watersports Maafushi
Waterskiing & Jetskiing, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Now many days on maafushi is enough?

The only reason to go to a local island, apart than for meeting friends is to go to Maldives with a low budget. If you are going to stay 4 days at a resort, you can stay 7: stay seven days and take a day trip to a local island...

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Now many days on maafushi is enough?

Maafushi is relatively small....people usually go to Maafushi to save on accommodation and take excursions at lower rates than at resorts. The real Maldivian life you hear about is this....Locals sitting outside their houses chit chatting, or in their shops. There is nothing Maldivian about that if you ask me. Having said that, I am right now at Maafushi and had a walk around most of the island. The people are friendly, smiling at you, and you can freely start a conversation without worrying and get answers to any questions you might havet. If you are lucky, there might be an event that you will be very welcome to join. There was a food fair today and we joined and they were all smiles and excited to tell us more about the foods they were selling. Whatever the case, it should not take more than a day to see what Maafushi has.

Also, please note that, depending on the season, you might not be able to go to all excursions. My "hotel" said they don't encourage sandbank trips due to weather, and the dolphin trips are not guaranteed to see dolphins as it is not their seasons;. So you might end up being left with only a sunset cruise (also not that beautiful due to overcast weather), snorkeling trip, and picnic island (which I would give a pass since you will be going to a resort that is surely much better than the picnic island).

Having said that, I would still advise you to visit Maafushi. Spend 2 nights. I have just extended my stay for 2 nights as we feel very relaxed and the smiles of the people are enough to encourage us.

Please note, the food in Maafushi is disappointing and there really is only 1 restaurant (Rehendi) and 2 smaller cafes (one of which has about 80% items on the menu not available - I am not kidding!)

3. Re: Now many days on maafushi is enough?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Maafushi Island