We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place to meet dolphins in WA?

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
best place to meet dolphins in WA?

We are planning a trip to WA in Easter 2009 and we going to stop at Monkey Mia on our way up to Exmouth and the Ningaloo Reef. I've just been talking to some guys who saw dolphins at Bunbury and really enjoyed it because there weren't too many people around and it didn't seem 'staged' which has to be a good thing. Just for info we'll be travelling with two children who'll be twelve and nine, so the three-hour sea kayaking trip may be a non-starter!

It'd be a real bummer to fly up to Monkey Mia and find that you were just one of a crowd of Japanese tourists on a day trip from Perth pestering one sad lone dolphin (I did once see a Japanese woman poke a sleeping Koala with a (long)stick to get it to move high up in it's tree for their video and vowed to avoid all such tour groups like the plague in future, so I do have my reasons ... and yes I did say something very loudly and yes I'm sure they understood what I said!)

Can anyone help please?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,366 posts
1,532 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best place to meet dolphins in WA?

I don't know anything about dolphins in Bunbury but I'm sure Perth Experts will inform you on the details. However, it would be a real shame to miss Ningaloo Reef as to me its a wonderful spectacular and stunning region which has to be one of the best "hidden gems" in Australia.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best place to meet dolphins in WA?

Monkey Mia you "see" the dolphins from the beach. You cannot touch them or go in the water with them. Crowds are monitored by CALM staff.

Bunbury you can pay to go out on a boat and swim with them, similarly at Rockingham.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
656 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best place to meet dolphins in WA?

The beach experience at Bunbury for dolphins is very hit or miss, mostly miss I understand. We saw 2 from the beach the day we were there but they swam past twice about 20 metres out & were then gone for the day. Time of day can be quite variable as well I understand. Relatively cheap, but you may need to go several days before you get a good day.

Going out on the boat the same day we saw plenty of dolphins in several different locations around the harbour and relatively close. An enjoyable experience.

Haven't been to Ningaloo yet, but there are plenty of good reasons to go there too.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,139 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best place to meet dolphins in WA?

We went to the Bunbury Dolphin discovery centre 2 years ago when our children were 11 & 13. We were lucky enough to see several dolphins that day. The staff there (volunteers I believe), were fantastic-extremely protective of them, there's no way you would be able to actually touch them.

We also saw dolphins close up further south on our way to Cape Leewin. We had stopped at a little town for morning tea (? Augusta) & there were dolphins frolicking in the inlet!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best place to meet dolphins in WA?

Koombana Bay. That's where the Discovery Centre is.

It will be well sign posted. It's right in the town near the port.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best place to meet dolphins in WA?

Sorry could not post addresses earlier

Bunbury info:

http://dolphins.mysouthwest.com.au/

Rockingham info:

www.dolphins.com.au

I often see dolphins in the Swan River on my weekly walks - whilst you're here if you cycle or walk "Around the Bridges" especially early in the day, you may be just as lucky - and it's free :-)

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best place to meet dolphins in WA?

Many thanks for the replies. We will definitely still head up to the Ningaloo Reef - the more I read about the place the more I want to be there and I just wish it was this year! But I think now I might give Monkey Mia a miss (all the eggs are in one basket dolphin-wise) and fly directly to Exmouth and we'll spend the extra time around there. Then head down to the area south of Perth. Seems like there are some great options to explore further south. The boat/swimming trip is a great option if all else fails and the flight home is looming!I'm guessing "Around the Bridges" is a local walk - beats the ducks and swans we see on out local river. Thanks for all the tips - it will all help save time and money (few savings on the Monkey Mia stop-off for starters)-that we can spend relaxing somewhere else.

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
436 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best place to meet dolphins in WA?

We were at MM last December.#

We arrived off loaded into the room and saw Dolphins in the water just off the beach, later we were wading in the sea and suddenly we heard a scream from behind us, I turned round to sea one tearing past a girl, and I stepped back and it passed by me, by a foot or so.

Next morning we got up early to see them feeding the Dolphins. 4 staff went into the water with buckets of fish (dead) When the dolphins were ready, 4 of them swam into the shallows next to the staff. Then one at a time the spectators were asked to wade in and then feed a fish to the Dolphin. WOW

Later we went back to see the 2nd feeding of the day. The Dolphins started to come in to feed, but they started to feed on the fish in the sea and never bothered with feeding time

During our stay we did see others in the water at the same time as the Dolphins.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best place to meet dolphins in WA?

Dear SOW

Forget walking around the bridges. Go to East Perth and walk along the bike path up towards the Old Power Station. Every Sunday afternoon we see dolphins in that area especially around the bridge pylons. I live in the area so i guesse i am lucky- but remeber they are wild animals and wil do what they want.

Good luck!!!!

cheers

Howzat

PS look forward to reading your holiday review.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best place to meet dolphins in WA?

Narrows Bridge (South Perth) - Causeway (Bridge - Vic Park) - Winden Bridge (East Perth) - depends upon which bridges you are talking about :-)"Around the bridges" normally is used to refer to Narrows - Causeway but Saturday mornings I do the first example. Takes around 2 1/2 hours on foot if you take your time and look at birds, jelly fish, fish generally - a little longer when watching dolphins.

Get answers to your questions about Bunbury
Recent Conversations