We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopover en route to Esperance

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Stopover en route to Esperance

Heading to Esperance at Christmas - from Perth, and planning to go via Kalgoorlie. Coming back through Ravensthorpe, Hyden, etc.

Anything worth seeing in Kal? Thinking mine tours, skimpy bars, and brothel tours. All the high brow, cultural stuff! Anywhere else we should check out?

Given the driving distance, presumably we'll need 2 nights accommodation. Any recommendations on where to stay and eat?

Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stopover en route to Esperance

There seems to be a lot of motel accommodation in Kalgoorlie. I stayed at The View on Hannans a while back and it was fine. Noticed that The Rydges gets good reviews and given it is summer the pool might be welcome.

No personal recommendations of restaurants-check reviews. However, I remember enjoying pub type meals as felt 'authentic". I thought the quality of meals was generally very good.

if you are short of time you could spend the morning in Kal going to the Super Pit and driving around then head to Esperance in the afternoon. If you are going to stay the 2 nights and wanted a bit of a drive on the second day then 70kms to Ora Banda is very interesting. Kalgoorlie is an fascinating town for tourists and provides historical context for WA.

Edited: 05 November 2013, 14:25
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stopover en route to Esperance

Thanks Jean. Had kind of counted on spending a whole day drive to Kalgoorlie, but just checked google maps, which said 6 hrs from Perth. So maybe one night would be fine... Do some stuff in the afternoon when we get there, and then in the morning before heading to Esperance,

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stopover en route to Esperance

It took us eight hours to reach Kal from Perth, and we only stopped for petrol and toilets.

We'd planned to spend three nights, but got bored with the place, so cut it short by a night; added it to Esperance, which we enjoyed a lot more than Kal.

The Super Pit is fascinating - we also took an underground mine tour and visited Mt Charlotte.

The Royal Flying Doctors Visitor's Center appealed, but was closed on the weekend, as was the Super Pit Shop.

We had a couple of good meals at Judd's in the Kalgoorlie Hotel - it's been awhile though, not sure if they're still there.

Accommodation seemed hit and miss - we stayed at the All Seasons Plaza Hotel, which was pretty awful.

Kambalda, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Stopover en route to Esperance

Hi there, I live 40 mins from Kalgoorlie and can tell you that you must see the Super Pit. It is amazing. As for meals I would recomment the tower hotel for a good pub style counter meal. Or if you wanted something a little more upmarket try restaurant 259 (at the york hotel) has the best pork belly I have ever eaten. As for driving from Perth to Kal I do it regularly and generally takes between 6 and 7 hours depending on traffic. Would definitely suggest only one night in Kal and spend the extra night in Esperance.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stopover en route to Esperance

Sounds like one night is the thing to do. Thanks guys :)

How far is Kal from Esperance? If we spend the best part of day one driving there from Perth, is one night in town going to be enough time to see the super pit and do a mine tour, before heading off for Esperance on day two?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stopover en route to Esperance

It took us four hours to drive from Kal to Esperance.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stopover en route to Esperance

Oh, nice one!

Thanks

Reply to: Stopover en route to Esperance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kalgoorlie-Boulder