We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perth - Margaret River - Albany Perth Feb 8 -15

Which Margaret River hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Perth - Margaret River - Albany Perth Feb 8 -15

My wife, 23 old son, and I will be travelling from Perth to Margaret River, Albany and back to Perth from Feb 8 - 15, A few questions :

1. Is Rottnest Island worth it a this time of year? Crowded?

2. Preliminary plan is to stay 4 night in Margaret River Area and 3 in Albany. Should we stop somewhere in between?

3. Driving back form Albany to Perth understand is about 5 hrs 417 Km. Is it to risky to drive back and fly out to Sydney the same day?

4. Is this time in February a peek time? Children still on holiday?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perth - Margaret River - Albany Perth Feb 8 -15

1. Subjective. Have you checked out the Rotto web site? www.rottnestisland.com

2. In between MR & Albany?

You may wish to consider staying in Denmark or Pemberton each for a night to cut the driving around times to attractions. With 7 days to cover the South West you have plenty of time to cover all the touristy things plus relax on the lovely beaches if you wish.

3. Risky? As in missing your flight? You know your own stress levels. If the plane leaves in the evening and you leave early in the morning, shouldn't be a problem. But if it is a lunchtime flight...

4. Kids are back at school but still a reasonably peak time as is our Summer. Feb can be the hottest month of the year and down south is often a tad cooler than the metro area. Locals who can quite regularly leave Perth post school holidays so accommodation can still be thin on the ground.

Just a note. You may not be aware but there have been/are significant fires in the south west region of WA. Massive areas of bush and some people's homes have been burnt out. Come February, there will not as yet have been any or only minimal regrowth so it is likely you will see large areas of blackened land so be prepared.

www.westernaustralia.com

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perth - Margaret River - Albany Perth Feb 8 -15

Hi jacksl -

1) One man's 'worth it' is another man's 'worthless', so this is hard to answer, but I'll give you my personal two cents. I recently visited Rottnest Island for the first time just to see what all the fuss was about. I was not impressed. Had I devoted an entire day of a short holiday to the island instead of having visited at my leisure as a local resident, I would have been really annoyed. Some people seem to love the island, but personally, I just didn't get the attraction. WA is chockablock with beautiful bays and beaches that are much easier (and less expensive) to access than Rottnest. The quokkas were a highlight for me, but quokkas can be seen elsewhere, including the Perth Zoo.

February is WA's hottest month - Rottnest is exposed and has few trees...I went in November and that was plenty warm for me. I'd not be caught dead on Rottnest in February, BUT, that's just me.

perth
Level Contributor
309 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perth - Margaret River - Albany Perth Feb 8 -15

I am a huge fan of Rottnest. In my opinion it is a place where it is best to spend a few days rather than a day trip. If doing a day trip make sure you try and pick a nice day, ie not too hot, windy or raining. Early Feb the Island is full of families with young children. Since you are planning driivng down south you will see many great beaches so maybe Rottnest does not need to be included in your tight itiinerary.

I agree with perthite re staying a night between Marg River and Albany. I reckon Walpole is a great spot as easy access to some great beaches, forest and Valley of the Giants. Also make sure you visist Greenpool beach near Denmark - a stunning beach for a swim and yes Feb may be very hot.

Don't let the recent bushfires put you off travelling to the region. They were devastating but the Margaret River region is a very large area so most was untouched by the fires.

Edited: 07 December 2011, 08:45
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perth - Margaret River - Albany Perth Feb 8 -15

Thanks for your advice ..really looking forward to WA..can't wait

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
838 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Perth - Margaret River - Albany Perth Feb 8 -15

This New South Welshman loved his half-day on Rotto. If you have the time, go for it.

I'd also agree that a stop in Pemberton (karri forest country) or Walpole/Denmark (southern coast) would be a good way to break up the trip to Albany.

I broke my trip back from Albany with a stop in the Ferguson Valley (about 2 hours 30 mins to the airport), but that was because I had a 1pm flight and didn't want to be rushed.

I'm sure you'll love south-west WA.

Safe travels.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Perth - Margaret River - Albany Perth Feb 8 -15

Anyone familiar with Goode Beach near Albany and Peppermint Grove Beach? I have an opportunity to rent a house that is on Stayz.com and wonder what area is like.

albany
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Perth - Margaret River - Albany Perth Feb 8 -15

Goode Beach is a popular but quiet beach near Whale World. It is about 15-20 minutes from the Albany city centre. Close to many of Albany's main attractions like the Gap, Natural Bridge and of course Whale World.

There are spectacular views over Princess Royal Harbour and King George Sound. The area is quiet and there are no shops in the immediate area so a car is a must.

Julie

Hamlton, New Zealand
Level Contributor
10 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Perth - Margaret River - Albany Perth Feb 8 -15

We recently did the round trip Mandurah , Albany and then back up the coast. We allowed ourselves five days but seven would be ideal. The trip down is about 5hrs but we broke that up with stops and visited Castle Rock just out of Albany. A real must do walk. Beautiful countryside. One night in Albany staying at Middleton Beach. A lovely walk around the coast. Anzac Memorial on top of the hill. The blow hole, Gap and Natural Bridge a must. Up the coast via Shelley Beach and then through Denmark via Green Pond and the elephant rocks. Walpole Tree walks and the Dave Centennuial Tree at Pemberton. The light house at Augusta and then follow the coast road all the way back via Jewel Caves, Maragret River, Prevelly Beach, Bunker Bay, Cape Naturalist and Dunsborough, Bussleton (2km jetty) etc. A beautiful place but be prepared for heat in February.

9. Re: Perth - Margaret River - Albany Perth Feb 8 -15

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 December 2011, 21:05
10. Re: Perth - Margaret River - Albany Perth Feb 8 -15

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 December 2011, 00:35