We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving between Margaret River & Busselton/Dunsborough

Which Margaret River hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
75 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Driving between Margaret River & Busselton/Dunsborough

Hi all

I'm looking forward to my trip in early Dec to the South West and am doing the planning now. I've been to the region couple of times, always based in Margaret River for 2-3 nights. This time, I'm thinking of basing in Busselton/Dunsborough and doing day trips to Margaret River region.

I'm just wondering if it would be too difficult to drive back to Busselton/Dunsborough from Margaret River after dinner, ie. pitch dark with no street lights on the way back?

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving between Margaret River & Busselton/Dunsborough

Ive driven around the region many times at night and the biggest problem is kangaroos, particularly on the minor roads. There is a good chance you will encounter roos so its best to take it easy and always be alert. The roads that have vegetation right up to the road edge is worst as you will have no visibility if they are there. If one jumps out onto the road you can be sure more will follow so dont assume its clear to drive on. Hit the brakes and take it really slow until you're sure the road is clear again. You may encounter rabbits too but probably wont damage your car if you hit one.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
13,985 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving between Margaret River & Busselton/Dunsborough

Well - your car will have headlights no doubt !

Basically just drive at a steady pace and if a roo or anything else jumps out the rule is dont flinch or swerve as that gets you and anyone else on the road killed - just stay steady and straight and if its gets hit - it gets hit and only the car is damaged.

If your headlights are on high beam - remember to dip them as other vehicles approach so you dont blind their vision.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,641 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving between Margaret River & Busselton/Dunsborough

IME you are more likely to be eating dinner in Busselton/Dunsborough rather than Margaret River anyway. The Wineries predominantly do lunches, not evening meals.

margaret river
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving between Margaret River & Busselton/Dunsborough

There is plenty of restaurants in MR town, more so than Dunsborough and better quality than busselton

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,641 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving between Margaret River & Busselton/Dunsborough

sorksy - could you please suggest and perhaps recommend some restaurants that are open for evening meals in MR? My experience has only ever been the Hotel, Settlers & Must.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,520 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving between Margaret River & Busselton/Dunsborough

@Perthite:

We had very good evening meals at both Winos and Nathalies in MR.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving between Margaret River & Busselton/Dunsborough

Other restaurants in town:

Goodfellas

Arc of Iris

Waves Seafood Grill

The Spaghetti Bowl

Knights Inn

Margies Pizza

1885 Restaurant

margaret river
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving between Margaret River & Busselton/Dunsborough

Yep what AJ said :-)

Singapore
Level Contributor
75 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving between Margaret River & Busselton/Dunsborough

Thanks so much for all your replies.

Goodfellas has been our family favourite whenever we visit Margaret River. In our last trip, we discovered The Spaghetti Bowl & had a great meal there on my son's birthday. Really hope to dine at these 2 restaurants again but I think they are only open for dinner. I'll try to find a chance to try out the other restaurants you've recommended, AJ. Any good recommendations for lunch?

In our last trip, we stayed at Bunker Bay & fell in love with the beach there while in Margaret River, we stayed at Sunflower Farm, which I think my kids have kind of outgrown the activities offered there. Thus I'm a little torn between a beautiful beach stay at Dunsborough (considering Whalers Cove Villa as I can't justify a 2nd time splurge at Bunker Bay) & Margaret River (considering Bella Retreat as there's 2 families travelling together).

Hmm, maybe I'll do a one night stay in Busselton (arriving at 6:30am from Singapore) then a 2 nights stay in Margaret River. Will be needing more advice on Pemberton to Albany leg of the trip in my next posting.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving between Margaret River & Busselton/Dunsborough

My best recom. for dinner in MR township would be Winos.

For lunch (and brekky too) Bunker Bay Cafe is my current favourite. Or check out Wills Domain.

As you've already stayed at a beach location I would now recommend somewhere different. Stick with the Bella Retreat (or similar) option IMO. You can always re-visit the beach at Bunker Bay and also the beach in front of Whalers Cove if you want as both are accessible by the general public.

My preferred accom. in MR is always away from the crowd and in a forest setting. I just find it so peaceful yet all the major attractions or towns are just a short drive away. At Whalers Cove, altho quite nice, you have neighbours next door and the general public walking on the path between the apartments and the beach. Not exactly quiet and secluded. Also I dont regard Dunsborough beach as the best. It can be very seaweedy and not a patch on Bunker Bay.

Its your call if you want to stay at different locations in the region but my preference is to plant myself somewhere for the duration and daytrip around.

Get answers to your questions about Margaret River