We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore residents bringing home Margaret River wines

Which Margaret River hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
62 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore residents bringing home Margaret River wines

Hi

If there are any Singapore residents on this forum who have experience buying Margaret River wines and bringing them into Singapore for personal consumption in excess of the duty free limits of 2 litres of wines, I would be grateful for some instructions on how to make payment for wine duty at Customs at Changi airport. I understand it's $70 per litre of alcohol which works out to S$7.09 per bottle of 750ml at 13.5% alcohol. Is it generally worth the trouble? If not, I will just buy within the duty free limits to avoid the extra time needed to navigate Customs on arrival at night. Thanks!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore residents bringing home Margaret River wines

i would just say i have found great wines from all over the world in singapore.

why would u bother going to the trouble of buying, carrying and importing a minimal amount of wine yourself from another country?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
56 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore residents bringing home Margaret River wines

It's quite easy, you can bring in up to 10 liters. There is a customs area at the baggage collection area of all terminals. Bring your wine there, declare volume, cost and alcohol content, pay by credit card, and off you go. Takes 10 minutes tops. I'd say for the regular stuff, it's probably not so worthwhile, there are quite a few good importers in SG dealing with Oz wines.

Singapore
Level Contributor
62 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore residents bringing home Margaret River wines

soontraveller

Thanks for your help. What Margaret River wines have you found it worthwhile to bring in?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,294 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore residents bringing home Margaret River wines

Australian wines are generally a lot cheaper overseas than here in Oz so you will probably get to the vineyards here and pass out in shock at the higher prices.

The other alternative is to order direct from the vineyard and have them do the shipping for you.

Singapore
Level Contributor
62 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore residents bringing home Margaret River wines

Shipping is very expensive and once you add in the alcohol duty, I don't think there are any savings to be had. For example, Margaret River Regional Wine Centre charges A$99 for shipping up to 6 bottles to Singapore. I can't see any Singapore residents actually using this service!

Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore residents bringing home Margaret River wines

The wine centre's rates don't seem too bad. Australia Post would charge around $120 for postage of that weight that you would have to pack yourself, and no guarantees it would arrive undamaged.

Margaret River send in polystyrene packages to protect against breakage and also you would get a tax rebate on the wine.

Like the others I would say if you find a wine you like, see if they have an overseas distributor in Singapore and contact them when you get home.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
56 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore residents bringing home Margaret River wines

Empressplace,

I've brought cases in from Europe (Italy, Germany, France) and the US a number of times, checked in either bubble wrapped and packed in luggage or in shipping boxes. I can find some good value from those regions compared to what I get locally, plus you can get interesting stuff that you won't find in SG. I've not done so from Oz recently.

For Oz wines, the equation is a little different. There are quite a number of good suppliers here that WILL give you, even before taxes, a cheaper price than at the cellar door. The couple of reasons why I would pack wine back are 1) It's fun to take a swig of stuff at the tasting room and then pack a couple of bottles into the bag. I have bought wines that way before, paying more than I need to, and its ok (because its fun!), and 2) You spot something really special that you can't get here in Singapore.

To answer your question, I don't know at this point what would be worthwhile, but if you looking for the same labels you would get at the supermarket, then get it at the supermarket.

The process of getting it into Singapore itself is quite easy. Pack it well, check it in, declare it at customs, pay the tax.

Try James Halliday here for some ideas --> http://www.winecompanion.com.au/

Enjoy!

Singapore
Level Contributor
62 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore residents bringing home Margaret River wines

Thanks very much soontraveller. Just the information I need. It looks like I should refrain from buying at the Cellar Door which is kind of counter intuitive. One tends to assume that one would get the best value at the producer's doorsteps. WA accomodation and restaurants are not value propositions for tourists and now I discover the same applies to wines!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
56 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Singapore residents bringing home Margaret River wines

Cellar door experience is just that, enjoy it for what it is. Not easy to get good value, you find often you get the same wine cheaper at the supermarket or wine shop of the area.. That's true of most wine regions I've been to honestly.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Singapore residents bringing home Margaret River wines

I have been told that the reason wines are not cheaper at the cellar door is that the big distributors (who take most of the wine) get very upset if they are undercut by anybody - including the producer. So, as above, just enjoy the cellar door experience for what it is and buy a bottle or two for immediate consumption. Do NOT try to take bottles of wine in your hand luggage on to the aircraft - I have seen some very upset people at Perth airport having their wine confiiscated at security.