We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Services - Perth - Rockingham - Margaret River

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental Services - Perth - Rockingham - Margaret River

Dear all

We are looking for car rental serivices for a family of 8 adults

inclusive of my aged dad which is on wheelchair.

We arrived at Perth airport T1 at 1730. We will proceed to

Rockingham and stay there for 4 nights before driving to

Margaret river for another 2 nights before finally making our

way back to Perth airport and head back to Singapore.

Please advise us what sort of options do I have.

Can I rent a 10-12 seater van or should I rent 2 sedan cars.

Ideally, we prefer to rent a 10-12 seater to travel as a family

as well as to save costs. We will be renting the car(s) throughtout

our stay there. It will be someime in early September.

Please assist on needs and requirements.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Peter

Singapore

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Services - Perth - Rockingham - Margaret River

Hi Peter

Following on from you previous posts about this trip, my observation is - if you are planning on spending only 2 nights in the general vicinity of the entire Margaret River Region then maybe revisit the ratio of travelling time compared to how long you will actually have as disposable time to spend there. Personally I would not bother to drive to MR from Perth (4 hours in each direction plus cost of fuel) unless it was at LEAST a three night stay. The travelling days each side are half used up with actual travelling - hardly worth it, with lost time checking in and out as a further constraint.

I suspect that you may have relatives in Rockingham, and its hard to put together an itinerary that suits so many adults who may have differing priorities so there will be the ineviable compromises - however i would still recommend that you consider staying 3 nights in Rockingham and 3 in Margaret River during your visit. Rockingham is a small coastal suburb of the wider Perth city area. The Margaret River Region is diverse and caters to many different tourism interests.

As to advice on vehicles - sometimes it may be better to split such a big group and travel in two smaller, more manoeverable normal-sized vehicles that are easier to park, especially if you might need to do some shopping for food, or some people may need to stop more frequently for toilet or drink stops.

Two vehicles may also give you greater flexibility - will everyone in your party always want to go to visit exactly the same places? Maybe its better to plan a more flexible itinerary and keeping touch by mobile phone and text messages, meeting up for lunch at prearranged places and times.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Services - Perth - Rockingham - Margaret River

Kerry makes some good points to consider hiring 2 cars as does give you greater flexibility to allow for different interests and energy levels. I would also suggest 3 nights near Perth and 3 in the Margaret River region in order to enjoy the attractions of each area. Rockingham is a bit of a drive to all the sights in Perth, so if there is no particular reason for Rockingham then you might look at staying somewhere more central in Perth/Fremantle area-however, you do have specific requirements for wheelchair accessible places which might restrict you somewhat.

This web site is useful in providing links for accessibility for people with disabilities:

http://www.accesswa.com.au/

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Services - Perth - Rockingham - Margaret River

Thank you Kerry and Jean for the sound advice.

Yes, we do have relatives in Perth, this trip is mainly for my

dad to meet up with his relatives who migrated there.

From the advisory given and base on the merits,

we will rent two cars and extend our stay in Margaret River

for another night to give us more time to enjoy the tranquility

of Margaret River.

My heartfelt appreciation for the contributions and suggestions.

Thank you.

Peter

Singapore

Margaret River...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Services - Perth - Rockingham - Margaret River

Hi Peter W ,

some sound advice given to you already !! Hope you enjoy your trip !! :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Services - Perth - Rockingham - Margaret River

Peter, you are welcome!

And as someone who seems to regularly take on the responsibility of a group travel itinerary myself, I appreciate what you have taken on and just how hard it is to ensure that everyone feels like they have had value from their holiday. The only other advice I would offer is, given so many adults in your group and at least one who is quite elderly, take the time to ask each person what they really want as a single point of interest out of this trip.

Some might surprise you and say they just want to be able to stop and enjoy the time with relatives, and may have hoped for nothing more! Let them stay and enjoy their time, and head off without them - they wont mind!

Edited: 03 July 2014, 13:00
6. Re: Car Rental Services - Perth - Rockingham - Margaret River

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 05:17