We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewel Cave

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,532 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Jewel Cave

Hello,

My family and I will be in Margaret River at the end of the July and we planned to visit 1 of the 3 Caves. May I know of the 3, which one is the best? Currently looking at visiting Jewel Cave. Is it ok for someone who is claustrophobic to visit the cave? And how much does the ticket cost?

Thank you for your help.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,774 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewel Cave

Prices and times are here

http://www.margaretriver.com/cave-tour-times

With claustrophobia I would recommend Mammoth Cave. The rest are fully guided tours that may be difficult to move away from the group and get to the exit.

Mammoth is a self guided tour with a big wide walk in entrance so if you start feeling panicky you can exit easily while the rest of the group carry on.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewel Cave

Hi. If you start by visiting the caveworks visitor centre they will be able to give you loads of info. We went to mammoth cave and it is mammoth with loads of space. It's nice to be able to do it at your own pace.

Abs :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,087 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewel Cave

You have some good answers to your question already. If you are a bit nervous then maybe first go and talk to the people at the visitor centre in Margaret River too.

Some of these caves are very very big inside - I recall when going through in Giant's Cave on a caving trip from the entrance on one side of Caves Road to the exit on the other side, there is room in the centre of the main cavern for at least half a dozen double-decker buses to be stacked up, some of these caves are certainly not small! However claustrophobia doesnt take that sort of logic into account so you may be better with Mammoth as suggested.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,532 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewel Cave

Thank you all for your replies. Will take them on board and visit the visitor centre before proceeding with the tour.

Thank you

Margaret River...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewel Cave

Hello SingaporeNancy, yes Jewel is a lovely large show cave ! the tickets are $22.00 , not sure if a person who suffers claustrophobia should really go in a cave , perhaps someone else can comment on that ?

Hope you enjoy your time in the region !

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,532 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewel Cave

Thank you AugustaMR.

Looking at staying at Margaret's Beach Resort. Some activities we are thinking of doing are the caves (or may be cave, for me and my 80 year old dad), the chocolate factory, the maze, beaches, etc. There will be 8 of us. What can dad and I do while the others are on the cave tours?

We also intend to go to Busselton Jetty. Will it be an easy walk for seniors?

Thank you so much for your help.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewel Cave

Hi again. Would you and your dad find a winery or two interesting?

Abs :)

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,532 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jewel Cave

Hello Abs140,

Unfortunately, due to religious restrictions, we are unable to consume alcohol.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,321 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jewel Cave

Well, there are a number of cheese makers and producers of other dairy products (yoghurt etc) in the area, olive oil producers, Cowaramup's Candy Cow is a great place with fabulous fudge (much better than the MR Fudge Company IMO) and lots of other gourmet goodies, the Berry Farm or there's the Raptor's Retreat sanctuary for rehabilitating birds of prey (they do demos etc).

Busselton Jetty is level but very long. I guess if you were getting tired you could just turn around :-)

Edited: 10 July 2014, 11:17
Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,532 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jewel Cave

Thank you YorkFoodie.

I love fudge. So we will be checking out that Cowaramup's Candy Cow and others that you mentioned.

Looks like we are set for our 3 days in Margaret River. Thank you all!

Edited: 11 July 2014, 02:02