We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation on vineyard with kids

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
35 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation on vineyard with kids

Hello,

We are a family of 4 (daughters aged 4 and 7) visiting MR at the end of October. Main purpose is for relaxing, wine tastings, good food, and some outdoor activities. Can someone suggest an accommodation on a vineyard that is suitable for children? Is it a plus to be close to town, or not a big deal?

Also happy to hear about any (small group) wine tasting tours that could be done with kids.

Thanks,

Brett

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,787 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation on vineyard with kids

I don't know of any vineyards that offer accommodation. I'd suggest contacting the Margaret River Visitor Centre for their assistance.

York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,347 posts
1,566 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation on vineyard with kids

There is actually less accommodation on vineyards than you might expect. The only one I can immediately think of is the Wise Chalets at the Wise Winery - but its a slog up hill from the chalets to the winery, they are fairly basic and not specifically child friendly.

The visitors centres in Western Australia are helpful, so you could ask the Margaret River Visitors Centre if there is any accommodation on vineyards (welcome@margaretriver.com). I don't know every single place to stay, so there might be some.

If you can't find vineyard accomodation, an alternative might be micro-brewery accomodation! The Yallingup Forest Resort is next to the Bushshack Brewery (it is not open in the evening, so no need to worry about rowdy crowds!).

Yallingup Forest Resort is designed to be child friendly with a trampoline, swimming pool, childrens playground and there is often Australian wildlife such as kangaroos and possums hanging around. You can walk along a bush path to the Ngilgi cave from the accommodation - and even to Yallingup beach (although that ends up being a fair walk).

Regarding whether to stay in town, Margaret River town has plenty of restaurants and some pubs/bars and shops etc. Sometimes I stay in town when I want easy access to an evening out etc. It is about 10km from the beach.

However, whilst I like Margaret River town itself, it doesn't always appeal to tourists who can see it as a non-descript but busy country town. Some would rather stay elsewhere in the region, but it depends what type of people you are.

You can stay in Dunsborough town - on the beach and also with some restaurants and bars etc. Dunsborough provides good access to whale watching in October.

Or you can stay in smaller, quiet coastal settlements such as Yallingup or Prevelly where there is a beach, a small basic shop, a place to eat and that's it. I prefer Yallingup and its close to a lot of the wineries.

Or else there are stacks of places which are out of the towns and settlements altogether. A lot of people prefer to do this to take the opportunity to feel like they are out in the countryside. The main thing to note is that there won't usually be a shop or place to eat within walking distance and you will typically be cooking for yourself in the evening (the wineries don't tend to open in the evening, so for an evening meal out you tend to need to go into the main towns).

I haven't really got an answer on which is best, as even myself I swap around them depending on what mood I'm in and what type of trip I'm planning.

Edited: 16 July 2014, 14:59
Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation on vineyard with kids

Have a look at Cullen's Winery-not sure if suitable for what you want. Some of my family stayed there with friends and just loved the country feel of the homestead accommodation.

http://www.cullenwines.com.au/accommodation

Yes, Visitor Centre will know what's available.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,842 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation on vineyard with kids

Lots of wineries offer accommodation. Without searching them all out, and besides the ones mentioned above, the following spring to mind:

Bettany's

Adinfern

Windance

The Grove

Burnside

Island Brook

A few other wineries with accommodation I know of arent really suitable for families...more a romantic getaway for couples.

Many wineries also have kids playgrounds but to find a winery+accommodation+playground (if thats ideally what you're after) will be a bit of a mission. I cant think of any offhand.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,820 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation on vineyard with kids

I can recommend Adinfern - having stayed there many times since the first converted from a farm to vineyard with accom. They have 2 bedroom cottages and can supply spare single beds if needed.

Just a 5 minute drive into MR township.

Margaret River...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation on vineyard with kids

Hello Brett,

There are not a great deal of vineyards with accommodation however you will find a few, there have already been some great suggestions I see. You have had some great guidance so I am sure you will find just what you are looking for . Enjoy :)

7. Re: Accommodation on vineyard with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 05:16