We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living in Thames

Which Thames hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
2 posts
Save Topic
Living in Thames

Hey guys

Can somebody tell me what its like living in Thames.

Am moving over from UK to Thames for a year or so. Are there decent facilities, restaurants, shops etc.? Is it easy to travel from there..Is it an interesting/pretty place?

Is accomodation easy to get with nice views?

Appreciate a truthful reply!

Angel

Northland, New...
Level Contributor
700 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Living in Thames

Hi

thames is quite a small town, but has all the basic facilities and a few restaurants etc. Its not the most lively of towns, but there is lots of beautiful parts of the Coromandel Peninsula within easy reach, plus it is in a fairly central location for you to explore areas like Tauranga, Rotorua, Taupo etc.

Also, it is only lust over an hour from Auckland, so for more serious shopping etc, you can easily pop to Auckland.

Manukau City, which is just south of Auckland would be within easy reach, and has good shopping (for stuff like furniture, household appliances etc etc)

For nice coastal accomodation with views, there are lots of small settlements slightly North of Thames that are worth looking at. (eg. Te Puru)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Living in Thames

Angel, I had my response all typed out for you early this morning and then TA did a "blip" and it was lost! *&^%$#@!. So now that I'm back home let me see if I can recall what I wrote.......

Thames is your typical slightly dated rural NZ town. It is nice enough but unless it's your home town or you work there it wouldn't feature high on people's radar! It is the gateway to the Coromandel Peninsula and is used by holiday makers on their way to their camping spots or to holiday homes to fill up with petrol and food and for retail therapy on a rainy day. I don't think there will be much in the way of night life, most small towns nowadays have some great cafes & restaurants but you won't have a huge selection.

The positives are- you are very close to some wonderful coastline, beaches and holiday resorts, hiking trails and nature. You are 1-2 hours away from Tauranga, Hamilton and Auckland. There is a relatively new shopping centre called Goldfields (30 odd shops). If you are a fisherman or have a pleasure boat the Firth of Thames is an excellent fishing and boating ground. Mussell barges and oyster farming dot both sides of the bay. The alternative route to Auckland up the western side of the firth through Miranda (migrating birds gather here in their thousands every autumn before departing for Siberia), Clevedon & Maretai is a very scenic drive along a ruggered coastline and through some lovely farmland and lifestyle blocks. It is will get you to the Eastern suburbs of Auckland (Howick, Pakuranga) and the massive shopping complex of Botany Downs a lot quicker than taking the more traditional route. There are also some great wineries around the Clevedon area. The vehicle ferry for Waiheke (for those weekends away) also leaves from this area at Half Moon Bay.

Back to Thames- quite a bit of the town is on the flat and the homes back into the hills are facing south-west over the Hauraki Plains not the sea (although you will get a few that look over the sea). Because it is at the lower end of the bay a lot of the sea is mudflats at low tide. As LL stays if you head up the Peninsula a bit you're more likely to get views.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Living in Thames

Hi Angel, well you got a truthful reply, how did we do?

uk
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Living in Thames

Hi Zapper

Sorry am a bit late in replying to you!

Thanks for the detailed description of Thames. Now I just need to move there to experience the quiet life.

Angel

5. Re: Living in Thames

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 10:31
Get answers to your questions about Thames