We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wanganui to New Plymouth

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
10 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Wanganui to New Plymouth

Hi, we're planning on doing the trop 'Bridge to Nowhere' but not sure where to go next.

I've read about Te Popo Gardens but not sure if to drive along the coast via Patea or take the route via Taumarunui.

Any suggestions?

thanks, Zoe

5 replies to this topic
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wanganui to New Plymouth

Hi

Not quite sure what your overall itinerary is but if you are going to drive from Whanganui to Pipiriki for the trip to the Bridge to Nowhere then to avoid back tracking I would go via Taumaranui and the Forgotten World Highway (SH43) provided there are no issues with taking your hire car from Pipiriki across to join SH4 at Raetihi as most of this section of road (about 30kms) is I think unsealed.

My reasons for going this way are mainly for the remoteness, scenery and the hotel at Whangamomona.

If you would be happier using a less remote route then you may prefer the coastal route.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
10 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wanganui to New Plymouth

Thanks for that, we've hired a motorhome so I guess we can't travel on unsealed roads, although Google maps suggested that route!

Sounded good though!

Zoe

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
10 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wanganui to New Plymouth

Just found a webpage http://www.windwand.co.nz/heritagetrail.htm and it's only 25m of unsealed road so we can do it!!

Thank you so much for inspiring us.

Zoe

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wanganui to New Plymouth

I've never done SH43, but I can say that the Surf Highway (SH45) is pretty impressive too. There is a fantastic museum at Hawera - Tawhiti - that is well worth a visit.

The Bridge to Nowhere is completely random. Take good walking shoes as it is a climb up from the river to the bridge.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
10 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wanganui to New Plymouth

oh dear, now you've got me divided!

thanks for your imput though, Zoe

Reply to: Wanganui to New Plymouth
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Whanganui
Recent Conversations