We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive Waitomo to Whanganui to Wellington

Which Whanganui hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
4 posts
Save Topic
Drive Waitomo to Whanganui to Wellington

My husband and I are taking his parents to New Zealand for a vacation and would like to stop in for a tour in the Waitomo Caves and from there head to Whanganui River then onto Wellington.

We will be in Waitomo 1 night, Whanganui 1 night and off to Wellington.

1) Are the roads to these destinations difficult to drive?

2) Any recommendations on an alternative form of transportation?

8 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,692 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive Waitomo to Whanganui to Wellington

Driving is definitely the best way to see NZ, especially when you want to get off the beaten tourist trail. Any particular reason for visiting Wanganui?

San Jose, California
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive Waitomo to Whanganui to Wellington

Thank you for your response! Our plan for Wanganui is really to see the Wanganui river. We've seen photos and it looks just beautiful there. We're think a day trip kayaking or rafting. What are your thoughts? Is it worth the trip?

Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive Waitomo to Whanganui to Wellington

You could drive along SH4 south through Taumarunui, National Park and onto Raetihi and then take the road to Pipiriki. The King Country is very pretty to drive through.

The River Road from Pipiriki to Wanganui is very pretty and you might be able to co-ordinate a canoe excursion.

http://whanganuiriver.co.nz/

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
27 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive Waitomo to Whanganui to Wellington

Hi, did you drive the road from Pipiriki to Whanganui? Was is worth the trip and how many hours was the drive? Did you take a tour to the Brige to Nowhere? Thanks and best regards from Vienna! Renate

New Plymouth
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive Waitomo to Whanganui to Wellington

G'day Renate, you would probably be best to start your own thread about this :) It is a beautiful drive up the river from Whanganui to Pipiriki, very scenic, but it does take a full days drive. You can stay en route at a lodge, or go jet boating on the river, or you can go straight through to the end, and stopover for the night near or on Mount Ruapehu. Google the Whanganui River Road, and take a look also at the accommodation along there - such as the Flying Fox, http://www.theflyingfox.co.nz/ Hope that helps.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
27 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive Waitomo to Whanganui to Wellington

Hi cdn-npl, thanks for your quick answer. You are probably right that I should have started a new post for my question ;-)) We thought about visiting the Tongoriro NP and do the Alpin Crossing and next day go to Whanganui NP and take the Jetboat ride to Bridge to Nowhere. After that we want to go to Wellington. I did not find a lot of motels on the way from Pipiriki to Whanganui, so thanks a lot for your link and the idea to stay somewhere on Whanganui River Road. Do you know how long the jet boat ride is?

New Plymouth
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive Waitomo to Whanganui to Wellington

There are very few motels indeed on the way from Pipiriki (or Raetihi) down to Wanganui. It is a very remote, and very sparsely populated area. Not sure how long the jet boat ride is - perhaps five to six hours. One operator is http://www.bridgetonowhere.co.nz/ whom I cannot recommend specifically, as have never used their services. Other operators, leaving from lower down the river, take eight. Feel free to PM me and I'll see what I can suggest.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
27 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive Waitomo to Whanganui to Wellington

Thanks so much! The tripadvisor community is really great!

Reply to: Drive Waitomo to Whanganui to Wellington
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Whanganui
Recent Conversations
More Whanganui Topics