We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wanganui vs Palmerston North

Cairns
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Wanganui vs Palmerston North

We are driving from Wellington up to New Plymouth next April. Was wondering if it would be more interesting to stop over night in Wanganui or Palmerston North? We will be travelling with an 8 yr old.

Thanks!

Ana

4 replies to this topic
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
239 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wanganui vs Palmerston North

Hi Ana,

To get to New Plymouth from Wellington, you do have to drive through Wanganui anyway. Whereas driving to Palmerston North would be around 1 hour driving time out of your way. Not too far and my vote would be for staying in Palmerston North for the night.

We have just returned from a long weekend in New Plymouth with our kids. Heaps to do...they loved the Pouakai Zoo (a short drive out of the city) but not much compared to Australia Zoo however!

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
74 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wanganui vs Palmerston North

I agree more to do in Palmerston North and a slightly better atmosphere. Wanganui might be a bit of a let down as there's not much to do but if it's a nice day and you have a bit of time there are a couple of nice beaches near Wanganui e.g. Kai Iwi which is about 10mins North

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,946 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wanganui vs Palmerston North

I would drive straight through to New Plymouth without a stopover. This is not too tiring, and New Plymouth is more interesting than either Wanganui or Palmerston North.

Taupo, New Zealand
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wanganui vs Palmerston North

Palmerston North seems a bit pointless given it is only 11/2 hrs from Wellington and requires a detour, I would suggest drive straight to Hawera and visit the Tawhiti Museum> Your eight year old will Love It, you will too. I can assure you there is nothing in Palmerston North or Wanganui that compares. Don't miss it!!

Reply to: Wanganui vs Palmerston North
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Whanganui
Recent Conversations