We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unguided Group Trips

Which Whanganui hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Decorah, Iowa
2 posts
Save Topic
Unguided Group Trips

Hello!

Does anyone know if it is possible to book an UNGUIDED GROUP trip down the Whakahoro-pipiriki stretch of the Whanganui? I would be happy to go with a group, but I really do not see the need for a guide who will be blathering on the whole time and cooking our meals etc. But I can see the safety of being part of a group.

So, is there a way to get hooked up with un-guided groups?

7 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unguided Group Trips

Perhaps join the girl guides if they do such trips?

Is there a local canoe company which does the trip?

Perhaps just cobble together a group of mates, hire some canoes and off you go.

One point to consider - you might need to pre-book your campsites and huts - if they are bookable.

How ghastly to arrive at a campsite to find a guide blathering on over the cooking fire and all the best camping spots taken.

best of luck :)

Western Victoria
Level Contributor
347 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unguided Group Trips

And woe betide being told the history of the area and any meaning to the Maori etc.

Might as well get out on the Upper Iowa, the only difference is the scenery and history ,

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unguided Group Trips

There are a few companies that hire out canoes and barrels, and arrange transport to and from the river. We used Blazing Paddles several years ago. The river is easy to navigate and you don't need a guide.

It's a fantastic trip. Enjoy.

Edited: 18 February 2014, 07:55
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unguided Group Trips

You can do both. However, if you are not an experienced white water person I would not recommend doing it unguided. There are many rapids and the guides know where the dangerous areas are, where the submerged rocks that trap the canoes are and the tree graveyards.

they will give you history of the area. People do it unguided, but they are familiar with using the canoes.

We did it with canoe safaris and I understand they do both guided tours and freedom canoe hire.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unguided Group Trips

We did it unguided with little experience. We capsized three times but you just drag the Canadian canoes to the store and right them. Make sure the barrels are tied on and most importantly keep hold of the paddle.

A kayak would be a different story though - you should know at the very least how to do an Eskimo roll.

Decorah, Iowa
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Unguided Group Trips

Haha, good point Jeff K. I have seen some photos of the whanganui which do look similar to the Upper Iowa (right in my back yard). I assume you've canoed or kayaked the upper iowa then. Is the scenery that not that different?

7. Re: Unguided Group Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 February 2014, 10:35

Reply to: Unguided Group Trips
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Whanganui
Recent Conversations