We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dive Poor Knights in August

Which Whangarei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Dive Poor Knights in August

Planning on visiting in August and wondered what weather tends to be like and it is worth taking boat trip out to Poor Knights to poss dive and others to snorkell?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,147 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dive Poor Knights in August

Whangarei enjoys the highest average temp for all of NZ. While overnight can be chilly, our day's warm up to enjoy coffee and lunch outdoors most fine days. The marine current that flows past the Poor Knights reserve arrives from the NE Australia, which is why you see a rich diversity of sub-tropical species around these islands. Water clarity is some of the highest in the world too. And being under reserve protection, the habitats are well intact and thriving.

Words can't describe the beauty of the Poor Knights. NZ is very fortunate having such wonderful E coast scenery with its many offshore islands, making this part of the country a divers and conservationists paradise. We have the biggest sea-cave in the world located here. Just to give an indication regarding temps - North Is ave temps yesterday were twice that of South Island. Lucky for some alright.

Enjoy your Poor Knights experience.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dive Poor Knights in August

I went in summer to be sure and get the wam east Australia current when it's around. It isn't in August. However, what I discovered from the crew was that it is every bit as good, and possibly even better to head out there in winter. The Rikoriko cave apparently fills with sparkles when the sun is lower in the sky in the winter. The Perfect Day snorkelling trip is a great day even if you don't spend heaps of time in the water anyway. I wouldn't hesitate to go out to the Poor Knights in August. Just pop on a nice thick wetsuit.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dive Poor Knights in August

If you get a good weather day then the diving can be spectacular at that time of year. Of course it is mid winter so the chances of getting a good weather day are a bit lower than in mid summer.

You need to be aware though that the water will be cold (15-16 deg C), so you will be given a fairly thick wetsuit.

For diving a thicker wetsuit means more weight on your belt, but as long as you can adjust to the cold/ extra weight then it can be a great time of year to go.

visit www.diving.co.nz for more info, Dive tutukaka will be only too happy to talk you through it all...

UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dive Poor Knights in August

Thanks very much for your help. I have so many questions regarding the trip to NZ, so any help is gratefully accepted.

UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dive Poor Knights in August

I'm def going to book! Thanks for help.

6. Re: Dive Poor Knights in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Whangarei