We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queenstown to Greymouth in 4 days?

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Queenstown to Greymouth in 4 days?

We are looking at travelling by car from Queenstown to Greymouth

with the following rough itinerary

day1 Queenstown to Wanaka

day 2 Wanaka to Hasst

day 3 Hast to Franz Joseph

day 4 Franz Joseph to Greymouth

While at franz Joseph we want to do a half day glacier walk

is all the above possible to travel and be enjoyable in 4 days?

Any advise greatly appreciated plus any suggestions of things to do/visit on the way

Sheffield, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Queenstown to Greymouth in 4 days?

I think you have heaps ot time.

We drove Queenstown to Franz Josef in one day and still enjoyed stopping by the lake at Wanaka, visiting Puzzleworld at Wanaka,(you can loose a lot of time getting out of their maze, avoid if on a time schedule but visit and enjoy the other exhibits), took a lovely walk to look at the blue lagoons on the road to Haast, photo shots at Haast Pass, went through the Visitors Centre at Haast Village and viewed a short documentary film there and also dropped in for afternoon tea at the salmon farm south of Franz Josef.

All the above activities are recommended by me. We stayed two nights at Franz Josef visting both glaciers by walking up the river bed to the terminal faces. We also took a helicopter rider, Petes Pond walk, visited the lovely little church in the village at Franz Josef with its view window of the glacier and numerous other short scenic walks.

Do try to drop into the Jade Shop at Hokitika - we thought it was great. We also enjoyed Shanty Town spending about two hours there. We had visited it on another trip so did not take the train ride or do any gold panning. If you wanted to do that you could easily spend half a day there.

We did not visit Okarito this trip as we have been there on an earlier trip. It is a lovely spot especially so if you enjoy a good walk. We walked south over the very hilly coastal track returning along the beach (tide dependent).

Do try to make the 43Km drive North from Greymouth to Punakaiki. The coastal drive alone is worth the journey and the rocks and blow holes at Paparoa National Park are fantastic, especially so if you can visit there at high tide.

Wanaka is really quite close to Queenstown and I suggest you enjoy it and move on elsewhere for your first night. Two nights in the glacier area would be better.

Have a great holiday.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queenstown to Greymouth in 4 days?

I would tend drive

Day 1 Queenstown to Haast ( about 3 hours)

day 2 haast to Franz joseph ( about 3 hours)

day 3 franz Joseph sites and activities

day 4 franz joseph to Greymouth (about 2.5 hours)

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
253 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Queenstown to Greymouth in 4 days?

A question to ask would be when are you doing this? Accommodation up the West Coast from now on until March is pretty heavily booked.

Fox Glacier is in my opinion a nicer village to stay in and the Fox Glacier is easier to get to as well. I've been out with the Fox Glacier Guiding company a couple of times and they are excellant.

Your itinerary is very easily accomplished in the time given but as previously suggested maybe drop Haast for a 2 night stop at the Glaicers. It just saves you having to move on all the time which becomes a hassle. Otherwise just enjoy, the West Coast of the South Island is the best part of NZ.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Queenstown to Greymouth in 4 days?

thank you all for the great advise. I am thinking now we might miss staying the night at Wanaka and have first night at Haast.

We will be traveling April school holidays. We were going to wing it with accommodation so we can be more flexible but do you think we should book accommodation in advance?

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Queenstown to Greymouth in 4 days?

We did it in 2 days with plenty of time at both of the Glaciers.

DO NOT STOP IN HAAST! See my post in this forum. You will regret it. Structure your trip so that you can stay in FJ near the Glacier, and then perhaps somewhere closer to Queenstown.

Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Queenstown to Greymouth in 4 days?

As its school holidays you should book a day in advance particularly in the glaciers so you get a choice. I found Haast very friendly and the fish & chips fantastic at Jacksons Bay ( worth the drive ) as was the Waiatoto River Jet trip.

Yes there are sandflies but you are in rainforest country......I would suggest Shantytown and On Yer Bike in Greymouth

Puerto Del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Queenstown to Greymouth in 4 days?

An earlier poster mentioned the Jade shop in Hokitika. Whilst it is worth stopping here to see the carvers at work, there is a wonderful jade shop in Whataroa, further south on hwy 6.

Some of the carving here are worth a stop in themselves.

Travelling north from the Glaciers, the shop is on the left hand side of the road opposite the dairy.

8. Re: Queenstown to Greymouth in 4 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 12:18