We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving

brisbane
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving

Hi Guys, my wife and I will be driving from greymouth down to Queenstown in mid July. Is the drive a nice scenic trip and being winter will the roads be dangerous?

I am from Townsville. QLD so I have no idea of cold weather conditions lol...

Cheers

Scott

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving

The roads will only be dangerous if drivers do not drive in a manner suitable for the conditions. The road from Greymouth to Queenstown has plenty of curves and hills and not one straight stretch.

brisbane
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving

thanks so slow and steady , do you know if the roads get icey?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,408 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving

Yes they do and you could also get snow but the "killer" is black ice. You can't see it so you haven't adjusted your driving to suit. Do not leave too early in the mornings when it's cold and frosty and be careful on areas of the road that haven't seen the sun yet, slow down through these patches.

You will be fine as long as you allow adequate time to drive the distances and don't be pushed to drive faster by the traffic behind you. Pull over and let them by as soon as possible but only when it is safe, stay in the middle of your side of the road until this time, don't move over to the edge and spray everyone with gravel and possibly force cars behind to pass dangerously.

And one last tip, the speed signs on the bends are accurate.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving

On your drive from Greymouth to Queenstown you will not see any traffic lights or parking meters. You will see trees, trees and more trees.

Roads in NZ have the reputation for having the most curves, bends, narrow bridges and hills per kilometer of road to any other in the world.

Ice is not a major problem on trhe coast road except maybe some shaded areas if the weather is fine. Otherwise the rain keeps it pretty much at bay. It rains about 3 - 5 metres per annum so thats why the locals all look funny when they walk due to their webbed feet.

on the coast, we have mabe one week of frost for the whole winter so you should be able to survive ok..

An if you see a possum on the road, well they are all fair game

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving

Oh, just finished reading all your post zappers.

In june july, I have driven to queenstown and not seen one other car traveling in the same direction as me. so not a high likleyhood of traffic congestion.

Our road verges are either grass or moss so not too many stones exist in road verges.

single lane bridges are the only major hazard so try to understand the signage (large white / blue arrow pointing up on a square sign give you teh right of way. Round sign with red arrow at your end mean you give way)

I have never counted the number of single lane bridges in the 600 kilometre drive to Queenstown, but Greymouth to Christchurch there are 15

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,408 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving

You're probably right about the traffic Coaster but I don't know about those stones- one cracked our screen the last trip we did down that way.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving

I have lost $15000.00 dollars worth of windsreen in the last twelve months but mainly due to road works and re sealing dues to cars traveling in the opposite direction. Insurance company has me on a $400.00 dollar excess which is better than the $1000.00 dollar excess they were charging me.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,442 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving

Coaster, you pay for new windshields? I seem to need two new windshields annually from stone strikes but my insurance pays, with no excess.

Scott, you'll love the scenery Greymouth to Queenstown. Just remember to drive to the conditions and you won't have a problem.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving

Assuming the weather is good it is a safe drive and I imagine there will be even less traffic in winter than summer. However, it is rather boring and uneventful once you get an hour or so from Queenstown until you hit the glaciers on the coast. So I wouldn't recommend it for the scenery but only if you want to get to the glaciers and don't want to drive roundtrip from Greymouth.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving

I really disagree with Boraxo who has made the statement thatthe roais ratehr boring until near the glaciers.

Winding road is far more interesting to drive than long straights, and with lakes, mountains, trees , trees and coastal scenery, there is absolutly nothing boring about it