We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naked bus or Intercity

Sunnyvale
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Naked bus or Intercity

I am planning to take bus from Greymouth to Franz Joseph and from Franz Joseph to Queenstown.

Can you let me know which bus option is better - naked bus or intercity coachlines? Seems naked bus is lot cheaper....but want to ensure i don't choose just for the price.

Thanks!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naked bus or Intercity

Intercity is a better quality coachand caters for those wanting a comfortable and uninteruppted trip. Naked Bus is the budget version catering for the younger backpacker set. Their coaches are more basic and generally older but still reliable.

You can decide where you sit in the "pecking order " of Intercity or Naked Bus

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naked bus or Intercity

Naked bus use Atomic Shuttles on the Grymouth to Queenstown run.

If you fancy sitting in a van with room to stretch out like a sardine does in its tin for 700 kilometres, then go with Naked.

If you want the comfort of a 45 / 50 seat coach, with reciling seats, and lots of leg room etc etc then I am sure you will find there is no competion.

Intercity leaves at around 1.30 or 2pm

Atomic / naked leaves at 7.30

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naked bus or Intercity

Who is it you work for, Coaster? Last time you travelled in an Atomic bus?

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naked bus or Intercity

NZBarry, I can asure you that a Transit van does not offer the same comfort at a 45 - 50 seat coach anyday. Atomic shuttles use Transit vans on Greymouth to Queenstown.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,176 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naked bus or Intercity

Queenstow to Greymouth is a long drive that feels even longer! Comfort will be important so unless the fare difference is large or you want a travel tale then go with comfort. On some runs Atomic have what look like (I've not been in either an Atomic or Intercity) nice buses, however there is no comparison between a Transit mini bus and an Intercity Coach!

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Naked bus or Intercity

I can't speak for other Naked Bus tours but I often use the Naked Bus day trip from Queenstown to Milford Sound. They use a five star luxury 40 seater coach complete with a glass roof. These glass roofs are a huge advantage when viewing the spectacular scenery of the Milford road. The Naked Bus passengers include people from all age groups and nationalities and are not just the young backpacker set. On my last trip I was sitting opposite a Kiwi couple in their mid sixties.

Not only is Naked Bus providing comfort at a reasonable value on this route but their drivers are very professional and deliver one of the most entertaining and informative commentaries that is available for the journey into Milford Sound.

7. Re: Naked bus or Intercity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2010, 05:17